1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hercules DB stand

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by MD39, Jan 25, 2015.

1. MD39

MD39

Oct 1, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Anyone have any experience with the Hercules DS590B double bass stand?

2. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Own 2, traded out Ingles for these and like them much better.

3. Holds the bass even better than the K&M stands, but needs more space and if you play with more than about 20cm/8inches of endpoint length, you need to put the endpin in a bit to put the bass into the stand. The rubber foam might get old over many years, so it might need a replacement after a long time. But mine is still fine after about two years, so I expect them to hold about ten years or longer.
    Nice for my bass with the STA pinrest (rubber disc), that won't fit in the K&M stands. A bit bulky for transport.

4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I like mine for use at home. If I want a stand on a gig, then I take the Ingles. Although it seems bigger, it is actually easier to transport and takes up less floor space.

5. I have been using one for several years. To overcome the end pin problem, made a pedestal with a cupped top (similar to a candle holder) it is about 3 inches high. You set the end pin in it when playing, and it gives you the clearance to set the bass in the stand without moving the pin. The foam is easily damaged if you pack in with metal music stands and stools. The foam can be replaced easily if I can find a source.

John

6. Sorry, I cannot imagine how this looks like/works. A picture would be helpful.
    (BTW, no problem with me and my bass, but other might be interested in your solution too.)
    I don't have a source for the rubber foam tubes, but for the body support of my EUB I used rubber foam tubes for a bicycle steering fork, each piece about 40 cm or 16 inches long, I think.

7. I'm 6'4", so when the end pin is adjusted to playing height, it is too long to clear the floor when the bass is in the stand. With the bass in the stand, extend the end pin until it just touches the floor, then I made a base with a cupped hole in the top to set the bass on while playing. For me that was about 3". Most people will not need it, the end pin can be extended close to 10'' with out hitting the floor. It has it's drawbacks, one more thing to carry and trip over.
    But without it a tall player would have to retract the end pin before putting the bass on the stand.

'

DoubleMIDI likes this.
  8. MD39

MD39

Oct 1, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks all.

9. svenyonson

svenyonson

Jun 16, 2009
    I bought one even after reading about the endpin issue - having to shorten the endpin before putting it into the stand. I modified the stand, adding legs that I printed on a 3D printer (files available for anyone interested) and I replaced the outrigger arms with 3/4 aluminum tubing and moved the mounting point to below the frame. The result is super stable, way more than the original as the outrigger arms are stiff and a few inches longer. The stand is elevated 3" higher, and with my bass the endpin can be extended to about 11 3/4" from the bottom of the bass. The legs could easily be made from 3/4 furniture plywood and the aluminum square tubing is available from home depot.
    2017-03-31 14.21.47. 2017-03-31 14.21.47. 2017-03-31 14.21.47. 2017-03-31 14.18.59. 2017-03-31 14.37.23.

Mgaisbacher likes this.
  10. svenyonson

svenyonson

Jun 16, 2009
    ..Sorry about the duplicate images, can't seem to delete them.

11. dderatz

dderatz Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2010
    I use the Hercules as a playing stand on doubling gigs in show pits. The bass stays on the stand. This is the only one I have found that you can play that way.

12. fasternak

fasternak

May 31, 2013
    As I understand your comment, you play your 3/4 upright while it is sitting in the Hercules stand. I'd like to do the same thing. I am 5' 10" and I play with the nut at about eye level. Would you guess I am around the right height to use the stand comfortably this way? May I ask how tall you are?

13. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I haven't used one of these yet... looks like a decent design, but I like how little floor space my K&K takes and I can fold the "arms" in when the bass isn't on it. I used to use an Ingles, but it fell apart and I replaced it with the K&K.

14. dderatz

dderatz Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2010
    I am 5'6". I stand to play the upright in the stand. You could sit on a highish stool.

15. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I own three Hercules DS590Bs, all of which I got on the cheap on eBay as scratch and dent items. A little bend of metal brackets here and there and some black satin spray paint and good as new. Two stay home for my two uprights and one for travel. Love them. And where I set my endpins they work leaving them extended in the stand. The Hercules can take a lot of abuse and are easily repaired if need be...not so much for other DB stands.

16. warx

warx

Sep 13, 2010
    Marin, CA
    I just ordered this stand while I'm waiting for my bass to arrive. I'm just about six feet so will see. I have a 3D printer also. Did you print the red hinge also? Very tidy!

17. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I love mine, but I have a question. What do I do about the foam tubes that protect the bottom of my bass from the metal arms that support the weight of the bass? They have become compressed and are cracking along the ridges of the rectangular tubing. I was thinking that a quick and cheap fix would be some of that black or gray round pipe insulation,with an adhesive coated slit along its length.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  18. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    That would work, but do be careful of finish interactions. You could also call Hercules for the part. They set me a couple of rubber feet for the arms that swing out to stabilize the stand free. The foam Hercules uses is suppose minimize any interaction with instrument finishes.

gerry grable likes this.
  19. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Thanks. I never would have thought about chemical reactions to the finish.

20. MaryTheCatherine

MaryTheCatherine

Dec 28, 2015
    I love it! It collapses nicely, but it is still very sturdy. The bass sits high enough to let me store my bass with the endpin out, and it even has a hook for your bow. It doesn't take up too much space either, and it looks pretty good. My only complaint is that I don't like the yellow part, but that can easily be fixed. Also, I've heard some people claim that it can be played from the stand, but that doesn't work for me.