1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HERCULES GUITAR STAND LONG TERM STORAGE

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Clark Westfield, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Has anybody had any issues with using a Hercules style guitar stand for permanent storage?

I plan on just leaving the guitars in my practice area and have no other plans on other means of storage.

Is there a problem with neck strain or anything to be concerned with?

Finish issues?

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    They are the only stands I use for my nitro finished basses.
    I have a Gibson SG that is Coral Pink and it shows no evidence of any paint damage from their stands and wall hangers.

I would suggest using a large cotton cover to keep dust and other contaminants off the bass. I picked up some double pillow cases that work great for it. They go just past the bridge on a Fender.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I don't know about that particular stand, but I wouldn't let any sort of rubbery stuff be in contact with a bass long-term.

4. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I am more intrested in the neck relief and strain.

I heard about storing in a case under the bed laying flat, but then I'll never play them.

Are there any issues leaving a guitar on a hanging stand causing any wood damage for the life of the guitar?

I know that the foam on these stands are designed not to cause any finish damage.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    No.

6. fwiw I've had my guitars and basses on wall hooks (relatively the same thing) for over 10 years and they are all fine . . .

7. Tevatron

Tevatron

May 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I have two Hercules stands in my practice room. I leave basses on them 24/7. I have never had any issues at all. I have done this for years. One of my bass' finish is nitro, and the pads on the Hercules have not harmed the finish in any way.