Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Here comes a bear! Quick, hide in the meat!"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jul 4, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This is classic.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article821375.ece

Man, it doesn't get any more cartoonish than that! I mean without actually being a cartoon...

I wonder if that's the official charge! I mean is that on the books? Was she found guilty of 1 count of "reacting badly to a situation"? Crazy.

brad cook

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I think she's being charged with "deficient polar bear safety measures".

3. newbie16

newbie16

May 31, 2004
    N. VA
    !@#$ing tour guide. :mad:

poor polar bear. :bawl:

4. Lord. what's the problem? Sounds like she didn't want anyone injured in her group. If a freakin hungry polar bear was 25 yards away from me...I'd give it my all.

Endangered species or not, it's a damn bear. They don't "play nice". Why don't you tell me what you would do in this situation? Just kinda hang around outside?????

:eyebrow:

5. i sure as hell wouldn't hide in a meat storage thing. shes a guide, she should have known what was in the storage thing, and that there might be polar bears there.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    tufnuts,

My post makes no comment on what should have been done differently. I was just pointing out the slapstick element of running to hide in a building from a bear and then you get in the building and realize that it's full of meat. I'm sorry if we don't share the same sense of humor or irony. In light of that though you should probably avoid my threads, which often involve one or the other mixed with a healthy dose of cynicism. :p

brad cook

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Did you look at the other headlines in that paper? Norway seems like a very interesting place - flying moose, sex tent, runaway pig, sex merit badge . . . nothing cool like that happens around here . . .

8. That's not irony. Didn't we just have a thread about irony vs. coincidence? :D

9. Sorry but when it comes to a hungry bear 99% is just not good enough for me.

And yes I find the Laurel and Hardy aspect of hiding in a meat locker funny too.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Thank you.

Endangered species, you say? Yes, that's me. There is only ONE of me left in the world. Sorry, the bear is gonna die if it's one or the other.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Poor bear :( Should've eaten the guide, one less idiot in the world :p

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Jeez. If it had to die because it was shot in the FOOT, maybe there's a reason they're endangered! ;)

Yeah, poor news, but terribly hilarious about the meat storage part.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Okay, it seems to me that the smart thing for the people to do would've been to get so that the meat locker was somewhat in between themselves and the bear.

I'm no expert on bear psychology, but it seems like a sure bet that given a choice between distant prey that runs and nearby meat that doesn't, the meat would appeal more to the bear. Getting in among the meat would certainly make the choices more equally appealing to the bear. ;)

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :D :D :D

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Posted this summer by the National Forest Service -

Campers should be aware that this area is the natural habitat of brown and grizzly bears and should behave accordingly. DO NOT store food in or near tents. DO NOT store food in cars (bears will tear off a door to get at a candy bar). We highly recommend that campers carry whistles and pepper spray to discourage predation, especially when hiking.

To determine if bears are in your specific area, keep an eye out for bear "scat" (feces). The scat of the brown bear contains husks of nuts and berries, seeds and occasionally the bones of small rodents. The scat of the grizzly bear may contain whistle parts and smell strongly of pepper.

16. Bear scat, hahahaha! I know quite a few people known to tear off doors for a candy bar too.. :D

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    When backpacking in bear country, it's common to use bear canisters. These are plastic keg-shaped containers with rounded edges and a door that closes with a latch that requires a coin or similar object to manipulate. Since bears do not have [pckets or purses in which to carry spare change, this is effective at keeping the food (and scented stuff like soap, toothpaste, etc.) inside safe.

However, you don't keep the canisters in or near your tent, especially when you're sleeping at night. You set them away from your camp. What we do is set our cooking pans and utensils on top of them so that if a bear does come and investigate the canisters, he'll make noise, which should allow us to wake up, shout loudly, and throw stones at him.

I haven't had to do that yet, but my boss has a couple times. Fortunately, black bears generally will give up after a while, once they determine that they can't figure out how to open the canister and that they would be more comfortable away from the noisy stone throwers.

Visitors to Yosemite often find their cars trashed because a bear tore the door off and maybe even dug through the seats to get at a cooler.

18. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think more people should be fined for being stupid.

19. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've often opted for the Filet Mignon on my plate rather than chasing down the elusive cat because I'm hungry..............and lazy.