Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here Comes the "Duh" Question of the Day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiFi, Feb 9, 2005.

1. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    So, theoretically, since the transparent green of the Peavey Fury I'm about to acquire is not my taste in color, I could sand it down and get to a quilted top that I could essentially clear coat and have a killer looking bass, right?

Sounds obvious, I know, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone else had (1) thought of this, or (2) done this very thing. I saw a lot of people praising the basses sound but weren't sold on the looks.

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    no way. you'll destroy the top. the top is stained, not painted.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You could have a solid finish put on it, but then you'd lose the quilt.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What you COULD do is sand the thing down until you get to bare wood with no coloration. There may be some quilt left, but I am not sure how thick their quilt tops are. But if you don't have any quilting left, you could get it veneered with new quilt. Then you could oil finish it, or get it clearcoated.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    very very good chance the quilt has been black stained to stand out under the green.

my advice, play the crap out of the thing and soon you'll actually learn to like the color

:D

6. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Ha! Won't be the first time.

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Perhaps by removing a pick guard or a pickup, you can determine if the top is a thin verneer or thicker. My 2 Carvin basses have a 1/2 thick maple slice on top of an (lb75af)alder body and a (lb70p) mahagony body but then I bought what I wanted to start with. I suggest keeping a look out for the bass you want unless you're into customizing.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey, i actually fell in love with some stupid fender tele type bass in pink with flowers on it. if i had the $, i woulda bought it. :p

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 If it's wood, it's gotta' be paper thin, so it prolly wouldn't survive any work at all. If it's just painted/stained on, same thing.

10. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    thats alot of work just to make a bass look a certain way. If you like how it plays pick it up, or order one with a different colour if possible.

11. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Normally I would, but I'm getting it in trade because I wanted to move a cab and figured the Peavey was a decent offer.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just live with it for a while. If you really cannot dig it, just get a different bass.

13. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    If you dont like it, trade it for something else or just keep playing it. Dont destroy the bass by undoing a professionals work.

14. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Yep, I'm just glad I asked because I figured I'd get some decebt feedback about the top. I'll just play it as is and maybe trade it off later if it doesn't grow on me.

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Either you'll learn to like it, learn to tolerate it, or sell it off to get a bass you do like. Regardless, I wouldn't screw up the bass. Leave it alone and see where it takes you.

16. As someone who has refinished and existing bass before, I say, . . . . . .. . .Ooooooo, . . .best really think it through! My makeover was extremely hard and it was always a very good possibility that I was just on the verge of ruining it! In a word, . . . . . I got lucky! Mine turned out alright. But just because it did, doesn't mean it can or should be done. I mean a transparent green isn't all that bad. Solid metallic purple with pearlized pickguard . . . . . . was worth the risk. Plus the bass only cost me $450 back in 1997.

Adding picture just in case some haven't seen it.

[​IMG]

Whatever you decide, good luck! :)

By the way, if the image doesn't work, it's because it is at crappy Imagestation.com :spit:

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Gee, I thought many lower cost Korean basses like the Peavey Fury and Samick Fairlane used 'foto-quilt' tops (meaning the quilt design has been photoplaned onto the bass; meaning it's a picture rather than an actual quilted maple wood top). In that case, sanding off the finish should be less of a big deal, or no?

I know my Fairlane has a foto-quilt.

18. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Well, the Peavey site has it listed as a quilted maple top so I assumed that meant it was actually wood under there. In any case, I think I'll play it safe. I have done work sanding and finishing before so it wouldn't be as experimental, but if the sanding the top will kill the quilt, I'm going to forget it.