Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here comes The Judge

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Anybody catch the IndependentLens Keeping Time: the Life and Photographs of Milt Hinton on PBS last night?

Some nice "Burnsalis" type spot interviews with Bill Crow, Ron Carter, Rufus Reid as well as folks who play other instruments. And the photos from over the years as well as film footage and some TV appearances.

2. I don't watch TV - but I have two of Milt Hinton's books of photographs ("Bass Line" and "Overtime") - great stuff - MH was a talented photographer, and also an entertaining writer. Perhaps the PBS programme to which you refer will eventually come out on DVD…

- Wil

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Most of the Independent Lens stuff seems to be available on DVD or VHS, check the store at pbs.org....

4. I've just checked that site, but it says that VHS and DVD copies of the video are currently unavailable. I'm sure they'll come out eventually, though. Thanks for the heads-up anyway!

- Wil

5. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Yeah, I caught that show (well the last half of it). Nice footage and interviews. The spot on Carson was pretty funny. I just read in the NY Times that PBS is going to be putting on a lot of jazz performances this summer (small blurb in the Arts section).

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I met his grandson on my gig the other night. He came over during the break and was talking about how his grandfather was a bass player and he grew up seeing this, and always makes it a point to talk to the bass player when he catches a band. After a while I finally got around to asking where and who his grandfather was and then I found out. Pretty cool.

When I first moved to NYC I tried to get a hold of Milt, but he was already pretty sick at that point -- just a few months before he passed -- and I never got the chance to meet and hang with him.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I know this sounds rather... socially inept, but I've thought about talking to musicians but never had anything to say or ask. What the heck do you guys talk about? I've never had a clue.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Well, something like, "So, you're Milt Hinton -- it sure is neat to meet you...", wouldn't be a bad start.

:)

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Last several times I tried that I felt like a stupid git in front of John Scofield at Yoshi's and Clark Terry/Roy Hargrove/Ugonna Okegwo over at the Jazz Gallery. Either that I'd be so shy I'd be stuck for words. :bag: :)