Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

here comes the THUNDER(bird)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 14, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have done it! a used vintage sunburst gibson thunderbird is mine!! i love the bass! amazing and powerful sound with a lot of highs. the things i don't like are the case too long and damn heavy but the bass is not so heavy as i feared, not light too... the neck and the headstock are really long but the bass is a little unbalnced. but i'm a big guy so i don't fear about weight! i'll post the serial number and hope to have feedback form t-bird users so you could help me dating and knowing more about this wonderful instrument! the things i like the most is the fact that the bass is really different in sound if you play it on the neck or on the bridge and fingerstyle of picking! a good tone shaping without messing with a lot of knobs. and the bass has an infinite sustain, a lot of bass, mids and treble and a killer look. not to speak about the wonderful neck!

hope to hear from you soon and GOd save the thunderbird!!

marco

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    What's the serial number, Marco? I love TBirds, too. I have a '79 and a '00.

3. I'm not raggin' on the T-Birds or anything, but you'd think Gibson would fix the head stock & balancing problems.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the serial number of my thunderbird is 90987739

it's a reissue with black pickup and hardware, which are the differences in sound betwee the two of your t-birds? is it true that the older ones have more growl?

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yours is a 1997, Marco. I don't agree that the older ones necessarily have more growl. In fact, I prefer the sound of the current reissues. My 2000 is my favorite. The '79 is a very good bass but the pickups aren't quite as hot as the new ceramic ones. In any case, they're great basses! Enjoy.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks a lot boogiebass! precious indormation! i enjoy the bass a lot! now i'm trying to get used with the voulme knobs of the two pickups and im trying to find a couple of good position for my playing style. with the bridge pickup i have a fat sound expecially fingerstyle. opening the bridge pickup without touching the open knob or the neck pickup i reach a more balanced sound. the tone knob is really interesting for little modification. but tell me, why don't you add the thunderbirds to your arsenal in the profile section? i know that you have amazing high end basses, but the thunderbirds seem to deserve a mention!
    thanks a lot and hope the best!
    marco

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Done, my good man!

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ehi, boogie, i thought t-birds were a little bit more popular. i know that they are not so popular as fender basses, but it seems that only the two of us play and like the thunderbird....

9. I’m also a Thunderbird fan.
    I have a ’93 (I think) # 94021044 signed by Nikki Six on the standard pickguard, plus a custom mirror pickguard with the correct logo.

Agree about the great sounds and the combination lock case being too large and heavy, although very good quality.

Tend not to gig with this bass very often after hearing all the horror stories about them not being too stable on stands and head-stocks easily breaking. Had a few close encounters but have been lucky so far.

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    barroso, welcome to the club! I've had 2 Thunderbirds (a '76 RI, and a '66 Thunderbird II). My current favorite bass in my possession is my '63 Epiphone Embassy, which is pretty much exactly the same bass as the Thunderbird, with a slightly sturdier neck, and a little bit more balance. They really are fantastic sounding basses!

11. And yet another T-Bird lover, I have a 2000 in black stain. I still don't know why people talk about the neck dive and the headstock, this is my second T-Bird and never had a problem with either. My other was a 78

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ehi gruffpuffy, we have 'similar' tastes, i mean you have a rick, me too. you have a t-bird, me too. tou like dennis dunaway, me too. you have a rivoli and i like them a lot. except for the warwick, i don't like them a lot, and the muscivox, i haven't seen one in person so i can not tell anything. about the rivoli, do you play it often? what are your impressions?

going back to the t-bird, maybe a lot of people do not like this bass only because the outrageous look. maybe...

13. I love my ThunderBird and will never sell it, same with the Rivoli. The TBird is a lot heavier but the Rivoli has a nice deep tone. The Riv is a lot like the Jack Cassidy model which a couple of guys here own and they all seem to love them. Real warm sound.

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'd like to know your 'settings' on the thunderbird bass, how do you play it, finger or pick? and which pickup do you prefer to use? and the tone knob?
    which amp do the best job with the thunderbird?

15. ..."The Thunderbirds are go!"

Oh i am sorry i had to. These sound like great basses, can you post pictures up?

:D:D

Merls

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    I had a T-Bird once but I couldn't get used to it. :( It also reminded me of Nikki Sixx toooo much!!! [​IMG]

17. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I am thinking of getting this bass (epiphone reissue), and coverting it so I can play it lefty (I prefer non-reverse style anyway).

However, I am put off by people saying that the bass is really long. I am a small guy. I currently have a Ibanez GSR200, and have no problem with reaching the headstock with that bass. How many more inches is the Epiphone Thunderbird longer than most basses. According to the epiphone website, it has a "normal" "34 inch scale.

I haven't noticed a real differnace with the lenths of basses of the same scale before.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Epiphone TBird and the the Gibson are NOT the same, they are two completely different instruments, despite their cosmetic similarities to the casual eye. They don't feel the same and they definitely don't sound the same. Don't get me wrong, I'm an Epi FREAK, I love 'em, especially for the money. But an Epi TBird is no sub for a Gibson TBird. Plain and simple.

19. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Is the epiphone version smaller?

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    In tone, yes. Physically, they have similar dimensions.