Here I am in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Staying in the Stanford neighborhood for about a week. So far I've walked the GG bridge, been to Ghirardelli square and Haight-Ashbury, went to the Exploratorium. I'll probably go to the MOMA sometime. Anybody from around here have suggestions on other cool stuff to do? Comedy suggestions like "have gay sex LOL" also welcome.
  2. -1. Unless thats the way you swing it, of course.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Visit the Mission district, it's the Mexican barrio section of town. It's been infiltrated and is on it's way to gentrification but if you're not used to the city it should still be interesting. Stop at Pancho Villa or Taqueria Cancun for a burrito. Trust me on that one. 16th and Valencia or Mission will put you in a good starting point.

Hit up Toronado in Lower Haight (at Fillmore) for a few beers. My favorite pub with an excellent selection of taps and bottles.

Go up to Twin Peaks. Go. Pick a clear day and you'll get an unbelievable view of the city and surrounding areas.

Alcatraz is actually really cool. I thought it would be another lame tourist attraction but it's worth the price of admission. Plus the boat ride there offers views of the city. Take the ferry at Fisherman's Wharf.

Rent a bike at Fisherman's Wharf and ride it over the Golden Gate bridge and into Sausalito. Have lunch and take the ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf for a few bucks. Great views over the bridge, in Sausalito, and back on the ferry.

Check the Fillmore, Warfield Theatre, Greek Theatre (Berkeley), and Yoshi's for any good shows. Killer venues.

If you visit Berkeley stop by Jupiter for a beer garden and great selection.

AMOEBA RECORDS in upper Haight. Must....go... Period.

I could type for days, but this will keep you busy.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Hundreds of cool bars, but here's a few:

Black Cat
    Bottom of the Hill (also music venue)]
    Rosellas (also music venue)
    Boom Boom Room (music venue, John Lee Hooker's (RIP) joint)
    Albion (total crack den in the Mission, but a great watering hole)

Pick up a free SF Weekly or Guardian (street rag) for listings of music, entertainment, restaurants, bars, etc. You'll find them on many street corners in the box.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Drive over the Santa Cruz mountains to Santa Cruz. Aptos is next door and has Neisine Marks State Forest. It's a beautiful redwood forest will killer trails. Unbelievable hiking and biking.

Arches National Park in Santa Cruz is a coastline with killer tide pools where you can check out sea life...anemones, starfish, crabs, etc. Dolphins and seals can also be spotted. Walk far down the shore for the cool tide pools.

Seabright Brewery in Santa Cruz has killer beer. Go there for food and drink.
  6. already hit that up :D that place is HOT.

thanks for the suggestions!
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I also like Streetlight Records. I think they have on in San Fran...or maybe it's San Jose. I lived in Santa Cruz for a summer and I used to always hit that one up and they had some good stuff. There's a lot to do in Santa Cruz.

Also, when I'm in new cities I always eat the local foods. So be sure to eat some Rice-a-Roni. It's the San Francisco treat.

Tell Bushman and Silverman I said hi.

brad cook
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You're in SF and you didn't come by and say hi? I'm insulted.

If you're not an extreme homophobe, the Castro is a fun place to explore. Go get yourself some fashion tips.

Walk through Golden Gate park. See buffalo.

Check out Coit Tower. Walk, don't drive. There's some really interesting neighborhoods around there.

Go to Vesuvios. One of the coolest bars around.

Explore North Beach and Chinatown.

Practice yoga in any random place. Be amazed that nobody cares.

Go to Amoeba again. Spend all your money.

If you can, make the hour drive up to Petaluma on Monday and take a tour of the Mesa/Boogie factory. Hit up some wineries on the way - it makes the Boogie tour much more fun when you're drunk.

Drive down to Redwood City and visit Gelb Music. Best bass shop in the bay area.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah for drunk driving!

brad cook
  10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, there's so many cool places and things to do in SF. Lots of good seafood if you're into restaurants (Alioto's #8 probably being probably the most famous, on the wharf). Bezerkeley is pretty cool too, although it's gotten somewhat yuppified since the 70's. But Dan Alexander audio is there, that's always worth a couple hour visit. Nice guy, and heck of a nice shop full of all kinds of great vintage gear (much of which is historical in one way or another). If you have some time to kill and nothing better to do, take a walk down a residential street in San Leandro, everything there is "small" (trees, houses, etc), it looks like Walt Disney might have been involved in the design. Personally I'm most turned on by the historic architecture, there's some great stuff in that regard. A lot of the hotels are that way, even the ones downtown, once you get inside you'd swear you were in the early 1900's. Last time around we stayed at the Claremont resort and spa in Berkeley, that's a wonderful place if you're into tennis courts and jaccuzzis and that kind of thing. Oh yeah, great massages too. Excellent restaurant too, with a great view of the bay.
  11. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Well you prob have enough stuff to do but...:

For more shows there is also slims, or just pick up a freebie city mag like the Guardian or SF weekly for local music. Or

Rent a bicycle and ride everywhere, Muni sucks / Bike better

Go to the cliffhouse area and walk around checkn out the old fort miley & ocean beach...It's sunny today, might be tomorrow(??)

Check out a game at SBC (pacbell!! ) ballpark, if you like that sorta thing

And if you have any money left over visit Amoeba again
  12. That's funny, I'm in Palo Alto til Wednesday. My grandmother lives on University Ave., just down from Stanford. After downtown, that is.

Someone PM me a phone number or something, my grandmother actually has stuff to do, so I have more free time. :p
  13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    We'ill be joining your lovely city early next week. Visiting art galleries and such. What a treat. We came across an original Arthur Hoeber in exquisite condition, and looking to trade it for something a little more lively. Might catch a ball game on Wednesday. Sweeeeeeet..... :)
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Really cool view of the city is either Sausalito or when you cross the bright you go left (under the freeway and up) that’s pretty good too :p

Ya, i am pretty useless:) i mean whats next... bike ride across Gold Gate, beeh :p

Inside the city, what everyone said :D

Castro, if you allright with it can be a fun place

I should get out to the city a bit more and enjoy it :)

If you want thrills and not afraid to die, East Palo Alto! City is amazing... its about 3 blocks big, yet it managed to get itself in most criminal city in US few times :D Its right next to Palo Alto, the nice place:/

Enjoy your stay in the Bay:)

15. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Oh man i remember rehearsing down there in the early ninties, at some studio on an abandoned railroad. Felt like we were gonna get carjacked ....

That place had like the highest murder rate in the US one year. Though heard it was improving lately??
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Be sure to wear some flour in your hair.
  17. I think it's gotten better. I've driven through there several times (albeit only on University Ave) to get to the Dumbarton bridge, and I never felt like I needed to worry about my safety.
  18. hey, i'll be around/on the stanford campus this coming tuesday...dang, we should shake hands! how bout it? come to my dorm.

AND we could hang out on mission and eat somewhere if you want. I can get there in no time. E-mail me:

Ah, almost forgot.....check out grime and norm's tattoo shop, Artwork Rebels on haight. Some of the best graff writers in the country...also tattoo artists!