here I go again... (quitting smoking)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I am REALLY motivated. I've only got 6 cigs left and a box of 4 mg Nicotine Gum standing by. Today is the day. Wish me luck.
  2. I'll quit with you. I've got 7 left.

3. Good Luck to both of you.

I quit (for the last time...hopefully) at the beginning of Feb.. Cravings are few and far between now. Hope to stay smoke-free this time. Now, if I could just get the Mrs. to quit...
  4. I've got no gum and a job more frustrating than counting votes in Florida....

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I'm 4 weeks into my second serious attempt. No gum this time, I want to quit... & y'know what? It's easier this time because I've decided to quit. Good luck fellas.
  6. good luck guys! I'm one fo the few to have never smoked a cig, so i have no idea of the withdrawals, but if it's anything like caffeine i feel for you!!! I drank a Stupid Big Gulp of Coke every morning for years and i never knew i was so hooked on the caffeine.. i wish you guys the best!
  7. Oh, it's worse, believe me. I've gone through both, and the withdrawal for caffeine was NOTHING compared to kicking a 1 1/2 pack/day habit.
  8. You can do it!!!!!!

Every time you crave a cig, drop and do 20 pushups!!!!! Kinda Pavlovian training, with the added benefit of endophines from exercise.

good luck.
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    good luck, you two.

... the trick is not to have another one.
  10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Guys, I buried my mother about 1-1/2 years ago. She died of small-cell lung cancer. Which spread to her liver. And her brain.

All from smoking.

The last few months were so hideous, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. :(

I can tell you a lot more, but not in this forum. PM me if you're interested.

Think of that every time you look at that cigarette pack.

(no sympathy posts please; wrote this for the sole reason of helping these guys out with motivation to quit)
  11. Good luck with this, fellas. I have a friend who smokes and is convinced that he'll be able to quit when he's done with college. I maintain that he'll be hooked by then, if he isn't totally hooked already. I wish I could convince him to do what you guys are doing.
  12. Thanks for the motivation. My main reasons are my two girls. They have never seen me smoke, but I don't want them to have to go through what you did.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best in your fight Matthew.
  14. When my dad quit smoking he got a prescription for zyban. It's an anti-depressant that, as a side effect, helps get rid of cravings. That's what did it for him. But there are two problems with that. 1. You have to be careful you don't get hooked on zyban although getting addicted to it is unlikely. 2. It's not free in the USA. So uhhh maybe if you try one of those 'buy your meds from Canada for crazy cheap' places....Well in any case, best of luck. From what I can tell the most important thing when quitting smoking is to stop wanting to smoke. If you like it then quitting prolly won't work. Good luck again
  15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Not even close, or even in the same solar system. I stopped an 8-12 pop a day habit cold turkey. Headaches for a day or two, then not even a second thought. I've lost 50+ pounds on a low-cal's been kind of tough, but nothing I can't manage.

Quitting smoking? I dread it. They say it is as addictive as herion, and I believe it. I've been smoking 1-2 pakcs a day since I was 16, and am turning 31 in May.

It's next on my agenda once my weight is where I want it to be, and I know this is going to be tougher than either one of the above things I have done combined x10. I'd like to quit now, but the diet is enough of a challenge for me at the moment, and I don't want to try to do too much at once, or else I am likely to fail at both.

Best of luck to you guys, I too will be joining the fight soon.
  16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I quit just over a year ago. I was smoking a pack and a half everyday, and when I quit, I quit cold turkey. No gum, no patches, no cutting back slowly....

And honestly, I think thats the only way to REALLY quit. When you cut back, you just end up ramping back up again. And with gum or patches, I dunno.... I wouldnt see myself as having conquered my habit, just escaping it.

To this day, I still crave cigarettes from time to time. It's not nearly as bad as the first month or so after I quit. But when I get cravings, I get them BAD. I'm afraid that they will never go away, and that alone makes me think about just giving up and resigning myself to smoking again. But I feel like I have something to prove to myself, and all my friends (who still ALL smoke). They always thought I'd be the last one to quit, that I'd smoke til I died. They all tried quitting by various methods, one of them even dropped to one cigarette a day. He's back at a pack now. I hadnt even told anyone I was going to quit. I just....did it.

That's all there is to it, really. Just DO it. There is nothing stopping you from NOT having a cigarette. Sure, it sucks a lot. Sure, you are going to get cravings, and headaches, and you are going to be on edge, and irritated, and you will KNOW that just one cigarette will make it go away. But if you have that one cigarette, you already lost the battle, and you have to start all over again. IT is NOT OKAY to have a cigarette. IT IS NOT okay to even have one drag. That is giving in, and giving up, and acknowleding that R.J. Reynolds or Phillip Morris or whoever else owns your lungs, your wallet, and most importantly, your will, and you cant get it back.

I'm not trying to make it sound like it's easy. Or fun. Or something I haven't ALMOST failed at time and time again. But it's not impossible. At all. You just gotta put all of your heart and soul behind it.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You guys can do it. Come on, Matthew and Mike, hang in there.

I used to put all kinds of stupid substances in my body. I had a hard time quitting several of them. But cigarettes are the worst. I smoked bidis, imported from India or somewhere. I only smoked 8 - 10 a day.

I haven't smoked in 4 years, but to this day, I still get cravings for them. Especially when I see somebody smoking in a movie or something.
  18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I got my girlfriend to quit smoking, just told her I didn't like it. Maybe if you get your loved ones to reject it, it will help.
  19. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thank you all for your well wishes and support. Day 1 is going pretty good. It's been tough already and I know it just gets worse. This is a 15+ year habit I'm breaking. This isn't the first time I've tried quitting (This IS the time that I succeed!)
    …so far I've learned that a cup of coffee and a piece of nic gum is not nearly the champion that coffee and a smoke is, but on the upside I can already feel my airways getting clearer.