Here is a good one for you...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lwleaver, Nov 1, 2004.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    As it stands at the moment I play an active bass and use a passive as a backup. Here is my amp setup with signal chain.
    BBE Bmax Pre->PreSonus Compressor->DBX Crossover->Stewart Power Amp.
    Ok, here is where is gets interesting. I can use the active bass until the cows come home and never have a problem. When I use the passive, it is too hot to take into the passive input on the pre, without clipping the hell out of it. So, I moved it over to the active input, with -10db. About an hour into playing it makes my compressor shut down. Literally, stops working until I power cycle it. I have no idea what could be causing this to happen. I do not play to loud or use aggresive finger style, I do not slap and pop that much at all, unless the songs calls for it, and that is one song we do. For the life of me I cannot figure what is causing this to happen.
    If anyone has any suggestions I would defintely appreciate the help. I love the tone of the passive bass (Stock MIM fender jass 5) and would like to hold on to it since I got a great deal on it, but I cannot afford to have that kind of liability on a gig.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sounds like a problem with one of the units in your rig disagreeing with the impedance of your bass. I once had a problem with my 18volt bass that didn't affect my 9v bass. It ultimately proved to be my Aphex rack mount exciter unit, fickle with that specific bass ONLY when I had a pedal tuner in line. When the pedal tuner wasn't in-line before the exciter with that one bass, all was fine. To this day I still don't understand why, but at least I tracked down and resolved the problem.

I would try eliminating one piece of your rig at a time to track down the culprit, then decide how to deal with it.
  3. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I do use a Boss Pedal Tuner on the my board, but rarely use effects when I play. What really has me thrown is the active (9v) never has a problem, but the passive bass causes my compressor to freak out, and ultimately stop working. I will try it with the bass direct into the pre and see if anything changes.
  4. judd levison

judd levison

Jun 2, 2003
    i'll run this past our head tech here, he did the electronic design, and see if he has any insight.

5. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah, this thing has me really stumped. One thing I noticed was when I was running the passive bass is the LED's on my presonus would stop working, but I could still hear it working. as far as the gate opening and closing. I tried a little reconfig and when I took my pedals out of the picture the problem still occured. It does not seem to be a big problem unless the compressor drops out all together and then the signal starts to clip my amp. Djnylonpants any help you could come up with would be greatly appreciated.