Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

here is a silly question... how do i increase volume from my bass podxt??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i set the channel volume, drive, and output volume to 10, bass guitar is at 10. but it isnt pushing my poweramp (focus sa) to a decent volume. the focus' volume is half way. it should be quite loud.

i am also using the model out put and not the di out too.

is there a way to increase the overall gain?

i have a feeling i am missing something :ninja:

oh yeah, and i read the manual. it didnt help.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Does the poweramp have a sensitivity adjustment? Usually in these circumstances, you have a problem with giving the poweramp enough signal to drive it properly.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    nope. just one level knob.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    So use the one knob. If it's like other power amps that's what it's there for.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You need a preamp. Even a very simple Art Tube MP will do since you get the tone control from the POD.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    The POD is a preamp.

7. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I thought the POD was an amp modeler :confused:

If VEGANBASS has to push everything to 10, it is a very poor preamp :rollno:

So my advice still stands. Put a preamp between the POD and the power amp. Let it do the work.

8. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I use a BassPodXT to push my QSC RMX-1450. It seems to have a pretty similar output to my Yamaha PB1. The Compression knob has a lot to do with volume. I normally set the Output at 10 (per the manual), leave the rest of the settings alone, and control volume with the power amp. Perhaps you got some settings corrupted? I'd reset to factory defaults and start from there.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    May want to try the DI out. That does still carry the effected signal, doesn't it?

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Pretty much any modeler or multieffects device also functions as a preamp, and often has global values to match up with whatever is downstream. I didn't look up specs for the power amp but most amps have only one knob (per channel) and it's there for gain purposes. I'd like to think Focus didn't put too ridiculous a nominal voltage in its design to be driven to full output ; }

I don't think the cheaper ART stuff is always desirable as an intermediary since it definitely colors the sound a lot. It's good stuff for the price but it's by no means what one would call transparent.

I should just look in the pdfs for both pieces ; }

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    The Focus SA doesn't have that high a nominal voltage needed to drive it fully. The Bass Pod XT manual doesn't actually have a specs page in it but just about anything should be able to drive the Focus SA. I could suggest making sure the right connections are being used on the Pod and chek out the info on pages 3:5 and 3:6.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    the bass podxt has a +4db output so that should be plenty. my bossEQ20 also has +4db output and it does a great job of driving the focus sa. i shouldnt have to get a seperate unit as a preamp as the bass pod serves as a preamp. i just dont understand why i am not getting that much volume. i just got this thing today so i am sure its that i have some sort of setting wrong. i can hear it but at the settings i have it on it should be blasting loud.

is there a way to reset the entire unit to factory settings? i bought the unit used so the previous owner could have done something, but to me the settings look ok.

13. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would consider +10dB to be minimum for a real preamp. But that is just me.

But if the Boss EQ20 works it might be that the POD does not like the low input impedance of the Focus. 5K is very low for a power amp which tend to run in the 10k+ range. It is too bad Line 6 dosen't give any specs.

Even the Boss has a mismatch at 1k output impedance. You would prefer 500ohms or less (1:10).

You could try sticking the Boss between the POD and the power amp.

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I believe he's referring to the +4 dBu STANDARD. +10 dB is neither here nor there.

Shouldn't be a problem. And certainly not of the magnitude that's been described. Again, RTM: pages 3.5 and 3.6 if nothing else.

15. I had the same problem when I plugged mine in - I tookit into the effects return of the amp which is line level, and the default for the board is set to go into the guitar input at pickup level.

There's a little knob on the back of the unit next to the output jacks - mine is marked 'Level'. I had to dial this up to full like they say in the manual, and then I used the main Chan Vol knob - all of a sudden I nearly blew my speakers out.

Works well now :)

16. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Get the manual: http://www.line6.com/support/knowledgebase/

-and make sure it has the latest firmware and support software. It's a mighty complex tool to try and run without the manual, and yes, all kind of settings could be crazy.

The reset is in the manual.

17. if the pod is like the live change the settings for what you are connected to (3.8 in book) then put it to your amp set up (ie live with/out horn) i think this MAY work.

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    The RT[F]M Clause is once again in play ; }

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    okay read the manual for the 15th time.

page 3.8 of the manual says i can increase the db by using the biamp mode. do i want to use the biamp mode? I am just running this straight into the poweramp.

oh, wait a minute... this might be it... are my options "studio direct" versus "Live with Horn"?... i am assuming I want "live with horn" for more volume???

20. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You DON'T want bi-amp.

You probably DO want Live.