Here is a thinker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I've been playing bass for something like 4 years. I go to the music store and play the bass'. I of course play the Fenders, Warwick, Godin ect. I'm never comfortable with the necks. Now I play a squier p bass. Do you think the reason I am not comfortable with these other neck is because I am still using a beginner bass? Or might it be because I haven't found the right bass?

2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    IMO, you just haven't found the right bass.
  3. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    perhaps you should think about what you DONT like in the way those basses play. then you can look for basses without those qualities.

but will pick up a bass and know "thats the one". and that day is a beautiful day.
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Great point :hyper: Narrow down what you are really happy with and what you hate about all of them. Neck size, radius, number of controls, body shape and everything else. Materials and finish and everything else you can think of.

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is your Squire a full scale bass?
  6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yes it is.
    I realy don't like alot of knobs. I don't like worrying my self to death about scratches. I really like P-bass' but I am a little put off about the neck. I can't find Maple neck P-bass anywhere. I can't even find a natural bodied one. I'm not really wanting to change a battery. Anything higher then 4 strings scares me:D I need it to go from heavy metal like Black Label society, to rock and roll, hip hop, funk and just plain old modern rock. Any new thoughts?
  7. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    BLS = P-Bass

Good luck in your searching!!!
  8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I realize you want to stay away from active, but it sounds like you should look at the MM StingRay with the 2 band EQ. 3 knobs and you should be able to find the maple board anywhere. You could think about the SUB or just a Standard P-Bass :bassist: GOOD LUCK!
  9. Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Yeah, If you like the P bass neck, a Stingray would be right up your alley. The Fender Marcus Miller has a nice neck as well. Also check out the neck radius of basses you like vs. ones you don't. I personally can't play a bass if the finger board is too flat, but some may prefer that.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can find a used Fender P bass with a maple neck and natural ash body.
  11. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    yes. yes it is a beautiful day
  12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I'm looking, not vary hard at the this time because my funds are well, they've stopped. I'm going to look into a MM stingray.
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Unless you are broke... ;)
  14. You might want to consider a 1970s-1980s Peavey T-series bass (T-25, T-40, T-45). Maple necks, three knobs, plenty of tone choices, really nice basses that you can get cheap.
  15. I think you're just used to your bass' neck, beginner or not. Fenders (4-string Jazzes and Precisions) and all Godins I've played have a really nice, fast neck. Don't know about the Warwicks.

I used to have a StingRay5 as my only bass for about 1.5 year, but when I tried one not too long ago, the neck felt too large. I think it's just a matter of habit.
  16. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    This is possible. When I first got my Geddy the neck felt too skinny, but now it feels fine. BUT all other basses feel huge :D. Funnily enough, my SR5's neck feels fine to me, never felt it was too fat.
  17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I ran across a fender 5 at a smaller music store lately, and I wish I could remember the model. It was a strange gold pearl finish, it had 4 + 1 tuners; it was some signature bass with a huge neck and wide string spacing.

That thing was absolute WORK to play - just huge.