1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Here is my band's full album, recorded completely in GarageBand

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by droo46, Mar 26, 2013.

1. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    My band just finished an album that we recorded in GarageBand. Many of you may scoff, and I'll admit that we're by no means audio engineers, but GarageBand is a powerful and very usable tool. Check it out. Your feedback is most welcome.

http://palebluedotband.bandcamp.com/

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I don't scoff. I just listened to two tracks and they sound great.

3. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Scott, you've always been very positive on everything I've ever posted. Thanks for your kind words.

4. Well done. Garageband is a very powerful tool. Much of it is Logic Pro but with only presets accessible. The limitations of the program can be a good thing, in that they can focus a performer on performing and not on recording.

Your tracks sound good! My feedback is that in relation to the voice, bass and drums, the two guitars are a bit too loud. Yeah it's a rock album and guitars are supposed to be loud, but it's a taste thing.

Did you use the amp modeling in GB, or the software instruments? Much of the effects in GB are very usable.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Wow!! very nicely done I love garageband the tracks are great nice job another album to check out is Scott's "Undercover" I'm noticing that there is a ton of talent on talk Bass congrats everyone on some great new music.

6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Mazel tov! I only have time to needle-drop on a few tracks, but what I heard sounded great--both the engineering and the music.

7. am no mix engineer but the album sounds pretty decent to me! garageband ftw!

8. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    We used Line 6 Pod Farm for all the amp modeling, both for guitars and bass. Thanks for your feedback. :D

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very good, well done!
    I worked with a guitarist/keyboardist who used Garageband exclusively and all his recordings sounded fantastic, so I am not surprised by the quality of your recording.

I like your music, good pop rock and your singer has a very good voice and style.

Cheers!

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    I like this, and I usually don't like stuff like this. Garageband is a great program. Used to record ideas with to send to babd members. Haven't used it in forever, but also recorded a demo with it and it came out great.

11. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Now that I think about it, several tracks on my new album have bass parts which were recorded by me at home using Garageband.

12. I can't listen right now, but I can definitely vouch for GB being a wonderful tool for making some pretty good recordings. I have GB and Reaper...only use Reaper when I have to capture more than 8 tracks at once and I'm not going to be doing that for a while so I continually use GB and get it done.

Peace,
    Greg

13. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Yeah, my guitarist/producer uses Reaper as well.

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Nice full sound. Well produced. I like the songs, too.

15. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    exactly what I thought after listening to this!

perhaps an unnecessary question, but did you do all the post (and specifically mastering) in GB? not a knock on the program (or you!), probably the opposite in fact, but I would have assumed you used something more 'pro' based on the sound

16. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
    This is really good, the music and the mixing. I like it a lot, your singer is really good. I've heard about how much garage band can do but I haven't had a chance to make much use of it since I don't have a recording interface.

Overall really solid album.

17. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    We did send it off to someone else for mastering. I'm not sure how it was done. However, we did it mostly so we could boost the volume. GarageBand's biggest flaw is that it seems to export comparatively quiet mixes when compared to other DAWs. Or maybe we just have no idea what we're doing.

Thanks guys for your kind words!

18. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I like it. :)

19. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Do you know who it was?

20. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Yeah, it was a friend of ours. I don't know what he used to master it though.