Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here is my bass project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stroy05, Oct 26, 2002.

1. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I thought I would post my bass project as others have done. It took me about 4 months of working on it. But I only worked on it maybe once or twice a week. This first project was easier than i thought it would be.

Well i am sure you know where i got my design from. Dont think I am another Ray Rogers. I just wanted to try and make a bass that I really admire. This bass has a Birdseye maple top, mohogany body core, and a beautiful figured walnut back. The neck is a 5 piece maple and purpleheart. Fingerboard is Ebony. Hipshot hardware. petrified walrus tusk for the nut. The pickups are Aero dual coils. Electronics are Volume, pan, bass, mid, treble, active/passive, coil split, and on/off. Inlay on the headstock.

This bass is incredible. And for a bass i built myself I am amazed at what i have done with these wood planks.

Here are a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Looks very nice... actually even better than that, considering it's a first project. How does it sound?

Feel like building another;)

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    thats incredible man. congratulations on the new masterpiece of bassdom! So when you making one for me? ;)

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Looks pretty nice (except it's missing a cutaway)

6. Pretty... Nice choice of pickups and woods.

Where did you find those "wood planks?" I've been thinking of making my own bass myself.

7. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    thanks for the compliments....

The birdseye top and the neck woods i got from Gallery Hardwoods. The rest is from a local lumber yard.

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    It looks good, but I have to ask: Why waste such a nice piece of wood on the BACK of the bass?

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Beautiful.....

Peace
    Nick

10. stroy05

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Peter,

the walnut is a nice peice but the figure did not cover the whole piece so i decided to use it as a back wood.

I figured it would have a nice touch to a great instrument. I also figured i would make it as nice as i can because i dont know when i will be able to make another one. I am trying to figure that out right now.

11. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Beautiful.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I'd love to hear some sound clips!

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

How did you go about doing this? I want to build my own soon as well and I have a book on it and I have a lot of experience building things just not an instrument. Did you have sources, prior woodshop experience etc?

13. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Nice job! I just have one complaint. You didn't send me one just like it!!

14. Great job! Your first bass looks better than some I've seen from "real luthiers". It's amazing what skill and attention to detail will get you!

Imagine what you could do once you really know what you're doing!

Serial number 001: Complete. Time to start on 002.

Again, great job!

Jeff

15. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Is this meant as a joke, or have I been completely wrong as to what defines a "cutaway?" :confused:

I thought a cutaway was the space between the neck and the body allowing easier access by your fretting hand to the higher frets.

16. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    think he's saying it with reference to the bass being a single cutaway...

17. Outstanding

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't know for you, but I see the back of my bass more often than the front.

This one is a beauty. Hard to believe it's a first try.

19. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    How do you wear your bass to be seeing the back more often? And yes, VERY hard to believe....

20. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    also, very nice job on the electronics!!!

If that'd play good(you can't feel how good a neck plays by looking at a picture) I'm sure it would hit 1500$+ !