Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here is the sound of my new amp

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gabu, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Ya the new amp is more bassy. Do you get a lot of distortion with just 12W? Now I'm thinking of adding another speaker to my Peavy Minx (35W @8ohms). Do you think it's worth the time?

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    No distortion unless I have the pre-gain at 75% at least. It does pretty well. I usually keep my pre-gain and master set to 50% each... but I can push the master when I want. I also keep my bass at around 75% so that I can add a bit or take away as needed while playing.

I believe that Bgavin is going to do the exact same thing on a Minx. I have never heard the Minx, so I don't know for sure. I would say, do it for fun. If you just need more volume, it's cheaper and faster to buy a new amp. If you are doing it for tone... You should give it a go! But don't forget that building your own nickle and dimes you and in the end is not cheaper than buying new.

Also, try not to use any parts from your Minx but the electronics. I did mine in such a way that I could put it all back if I needed to. This was a big experiment for me, so I didn't want to burn my bridges.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

g - I'm not going to comment on the amp sound other than it is definitely deeper and fuller than the "Before" picture. I don't think my Polk PC speakers are any way to give decent feedback on the amp, (get it! :rolleyes: ), . Plus, I heard distortion/raspiness that may have been your bass or just the action.

But I can comment that I think you're a tech wiz who just needs some megabucks and time to do some really cool stuff in studio engineering and/or in amp technology. Despite the fact you're a MS Network Engineer, (I think that's right), your downloads are still faster than anything I've encountered produced by a webmaster.

Also, given the fact you don't have high-end recording gear, your mixes that I've heard are always balanced, clean, and show sensitivity to dynamics.