1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Here it is, in all its glory "Eat Rocks"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bearcubs9497, Apr 10, 2006.

1. This is my first collaborative effort with my brother. I'd like to know what you all think. There's only "Eat Rocks", so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

http://www.myspace.com/appologist

2. Surely someone has an opinion of some sort. Good, bad, anything.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Now, keep in mind that I'm listening on a computer with a really crappy speaker, but - Was there any bass in that? All that I could hear was guitar, and a little bit of drums here and there. Distorted wanky guitar isn't really my thing - but it did remind me a bit of Buckethead, and I'm sure whoever played that would take that as a compliment.

4. The 'drums' are kinda atrocious (especially the crap panned hard left and right), but the gnarled mess o' guitars and the bass sounded really good. Not an easy listen, mind you, but fun none-the-less!

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's your speakers, the bass is THE ONLY GOOD THING about that song. All I can hear from the drums is the crash, and a very light snare. The dominating sound is awful awful wank guitar with phase covering every inch of it so it just sounds like a wall of phased noise, not very Bucketheadesque to me. Good job on the bass playing... hope you find another band sometime soon. :meh: :meh: Oops, just found it's you jamming with your brother, sorry to bash your bro, but I'm not a fan.

6. Thanks, guys!

These are the kinds of comments I'm looking for.

I programmed the drum track and played bass, my brother did all the guitar and did the final mix.

If I remember correctly, I believe there were 4 rythm guitar tracks, in addition to two solos. Personally, I find the guitars to be way too over-powering in the mix

I can reprogram the drums to bring out more snare, but it's gonna be a bit more difficult to get my brother to tone it down a bit (he is a guitar player, you know:D).

7. I enjoy it, but I agree that the guitars are way too loud in the mix. The drum track is very simple, it could use a bit of spicing up. I really like the guitar playing but the bass is barely audible, even on my computer speakers (massive subwoofer generally = lots of bass).