Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here we go again...Bass for under say, 350ish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Minger, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sorry guys, but I know this has been done over and over again...but I still can't decide on what to get. This will be my third bass, my first being an Ibanez RB800 and my second being an SX.

I'm open to trying 5 strings and fretlesses too...fretless can't be that bad, because I play viola and double bass too :D

Anyways...I've been scrounging around on ebay a lot lately, and my current options on what I may go for are:

Some Ibanezes - such as the SRX or Higher SR models
    Musicman SUB - I love how they look and stingrays sound pretty good...
    Peavey possibly...lookin at maybe a Grind.
    Also, the Cort Curbow is lookin good, as well as some Ibanez Egrodynes, but I'm just not so sure about luthite (what the body is composed of).

So...sorry taht this has been done over and over, but I just cant decide...open to suggestions as well, just plkease no black basses (or backs are black) because scratches are just too visible and drive me insane.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd definately suggest a fretless if you're up for it.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Fretless is fun. Since you already have two (presumably) fretted basses, I say go for it. Since I recently found out I really like Jazz basses, I'm going to have to suggest you look for one. Besides that, your price range doesn't include either of my favorite basses (hint: one looks like a toilet seat and the other has a 37" B-string).

So, without knowing anything about you, your tastes, or your musical needs, I suggest you try out a MIM fretless Jazz.

EDIT: Since you mentioned the S.U.B., I guess I'll throw an MTD Kingston out there, too. They come in fretted and fretless, and those who've tried them really seem to like them (I've never tried one... I just think they look cool).

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you're looking at fretless, I suggest either a used MIM Standard Fretless or something like a Yamaha BB404F. I've owned both and think they're GREAT, especially for the money.

5. if 'higher SR models' includes the 900 then i highly recomend it! i was torn between this and my ESP anniversary. both are absolutely awesome! i took the ESP because i prefered the EMG's over the Bart's, but that's just cuz i'm a metalhead...
    absolutely great, i was kinda confused by the anerexic neck but it still played great, and it's gorgeous! both finishes, especially the trans black.

mind you if you're sick of ibanez's i'd be tempted by the SUB...
    i just checked ebay and found an old flame of mine, the other bass i was torn over! Cort artisan c4z. can't say enough about it, everything is great, just need to upgrade the pickups! love the neck!

6. I would recommend the Cort Curbow myself. They play really well, the string spacing is great, and the light weight is nice on your back. Yeah, they only have one pickup, but it sounds good, and the electronics don't seem to crap out like some other *cough*ibanez*cough* seem too.

Rock on
    Eric

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Problem is, I can't seem to find many fretlesses on the bay...

That and when I meant higher end Ibanez's, I didn't really mean the SR900...doubt I can get that in my price range. I'm sellin my SX to help pay for this (that and parents are only letting me have 2 basses at a time). Anyways, I havn't had any problems with my Ibanez, except for the fact that the tone is a tad sterile...

I'll try to keep an eye out for the Kingston...a search on the bay didn't find me anything. I should definately check local stores, but nothing around here is cheap...theres like Guitar Center and Daddys Junky Music, and nothin relaly good in either...

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I picked up a fretless MIM jazz on ebay for $200 about a year ago. You may have to wait and keep an eye out, but one will appear eventually.

9. PJPJ

PJPJ

Jul 13, 2004
    +1 I use a Cort curbow Fretless 4 to play the lines I create on double bass (in recordings) as I don't want the hassle of gigging with that. The thing plays so well that I soon went well beyond this idea and began to write lines for it as well. The eq is very responsive (just keep the hissy treble rolled back a little) and lets this thing sound much bigger than you'd expect. I use TI Jazz Flats on it which almost make it too easy.

If you can try one out give it a good long test drive.

PJPJ

10. Cort: http://cgi.ebay.com/Cort-Bartolini-...7398680962QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Full list:http://search.ebay.com/fretless-bas...atZ619QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsascsZ2QQsbrsrtZl

I just set it for the 'buy it now' stuff so you could look by price. 'Course, you've probably seen most of these already since you've been checking out ebay.;)