1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Here we go again: Epiphone EB3 Good or bad??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twdavis13, Oct 14, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I just want a simple answer. I want to know if the EB3 is really THAT muddy if I want to use it in a rock band??
    May drop in the DiMarzio Model One if I have to, but can I keep the stock silver pickup cover if I do that??

2nd option: ESP EX-104 Explorer bass....

2. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm sorry to say: it IS bad. The primary problem is that it sounds ok alone but in a band context, you don't hear it! Really, even if your amp is at 10...I don't even know how it's possible, but it is.

3. What amp are you running it through?

4. Nonsense. It is not muddy. It is deep and if you have a decent amp it can be eq-ed to sound as bright or mid strong as you like. It sounds great in my band. And I'm talking EBO with just the sidewinder.

5. I've not dealt with the Epi version,but a guy brought a Gibson reissue in to our jam and I was able to get a very useable sound from it.

7 band EQ FTW!

6. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    How about an Acoustic 100w combo??

7. Do you cut the mids?

If not, Boost these mids, that's what make you cut in a band context IME.

8. I use a 250 Fender Bassman w/115. I like a deep tone and used to cut the mids and crank the bottom end with my P. With the Epi EBO I crank the mid range and treble so I actually get more clean power out of my amp. The only shortcoming of the pickup is you need to adjust pickup height string screws high for E and G low for A and D for balanced volume.
    There is a reason these were so popular in the sixties in rock bands.

9. They are pretty muddy, but not as much as an EB-0. Good for what they are but kind of a one trick pony. I have an EB-0 and have had epi eb-3s. I dig em, but my plan is to mod the one I have now pretty extensively so I can use it more often.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The whole Gibson EB series is muddy - but sometimes that's okay. I just don't like Epiphones - I yet to play a single one that was felt decent - but to each his own.

If you really want one, go to GC and play one. They have TONS of Epi gear.

11. I got my eb-0 for under 200 bucks brand new with a gig bag, fresh strings and a strap. For that it was decently well finished and played fine for what it is. The only real problem I saw was when I pulled the PG off it had a few random screw holes that didn't match anything.

12. It will depend on the amp you run it through. And trash the notion that a D "Model One" is a viable replacement because it's such a hot and over-wound pickup that it's very close to the "Mud-Bucker" in tone anyway (even though Billy thinks otherwise;)).

With the right amp, the EB-3 or EB-0 can sound good and cut through the mix.

13. You probably didn't see my post from a few weeks ago but I felt the same way until I played a 50's EB (granted a Gib not an Epi), the one with a violin body. My god, that was the first time I ever got hot and heavy over a Gibson. Get your butt on over to CrawDaddy's Music in Madison Indiana (a quick little lunch-time ride for ya) and play the one Rob has... then we'll talk. ;)

14. No experience with the Epi, although I gave 'em a look a while ago, due to the 34" scale. I was warned about the extreme neck-dive, due to the long scale length, so I passed...bought an SG bass faded instead. So pretty much the same thing, without the neck dive. Deep....deeeeeeeeeeep...sound. My amps (Carvin) can bring the tone to "normal" levels, but it takes tweaking...lots of tweaking...go get one to sound like the other basses out there. As others have stated, an interesting bass...but not for everyone. If given a choice, and this was to be my only bass, I'd have to pass...

15. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    The Epiphone isn't muddy compared to the neck pickup of the Gibson.

The downside to the EPi EB3 is neck dive. All the longscale Gibson SG basses had a shorter neck, and the bridge moved back, so the extra scale was largely over the body. The Epi EB3, just has a longer neck, and the bridge in the same place as the shortscale Epi EB0.

Bad design really - or done to save money on different body routes?

16. Patrick_65

Patrick_65

Oct 3, 2009
    Columbus, Oh
    I have a new Epi EB0 and yes very much a dark sound but works good for me. I love the short scale and the SG style, was never fond of the fender type headstocks. This always looked like an instrument to me. Definitely not going to have tons of tonal range but again works good for me!!

17. Stingray19

Stingray19

Oct 23, 2009
    bump

18. I've always been intrested in these basses. I just love the Jack Bruce tone from cream albums and even the reunion concert tone- though it is really "pillowy". It seems if you had a rig that could handle all that soft low end it'd be great. I've wanted to get one but never pulled the trigger. The short scales hard for me to handle, I'm 6'4" so that thing can really look like a toy in my hands.
    What's this neck issue you guys are talking about in the long scale models? Is it a real problem? And how does it effect the bass negativly?

19. My EB3 is my studio bass, it sounds fantastic, but its too awkward for me to use on stage. I refuse to sell my EB3, even though i need the money :D

20. all in all this is why I prefer Fender's bass names. They tell you exactly what kind of music to use them for. EB-3? I am not familiar with that genre. IF they had just called it a rock bass, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.