1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

here we go again...looking for another guitarist.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by butchblack, Sep 6, 2008.

1. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Our new guitarist just gave his notice. We'd been working with him for about 2 months and did 2 gigs with him. He gave a few reasons but I think it was the low paying gigs we're getting at the moment with maybe a bit of he works the furthest from where we rehearse that did him in. We have 1 showcase gig he's agreed to cover the end of Sept. Had a Craigslist guitarist set up for an audition Monday, he e-mails today to tell us he's taken a second job so he's out.

So far everyone has handled things acceptably, but it's awfully frustrating that we can't get our line-up solidified, so we can see if we can get to the next level (from really bad paying gigs to poor paying gigs I think). I think the 3 of us remaining need to have a meeting to figure out what's next.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent a bit.

2. Incognitus

Incognitus Amen!

Mar 25, 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Man, I feel your pain, just when things seem to be getting solid someone decides to leave and you have to do the whole process over again.

Patience man patience...

3. I just quit a band where we couldn't find a 2nd guitarist/vocalist to fill out the lineup. We went through many months of auditions, and either they weren't very good, or they were too good for us.

In the end I hooked up with another band because, well, bassists are in demand:) The overall level of musicianship is higher with this new band, so I think I made the right decision.

Good luck on finding your new guitarist.

4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Establishing a core is key to holding a 'sound' together. Try your musical network, where you buy instruments, meet other musicians and ask them if they know somebody. There are a lot of players out there.

5. I just got the call last weekend that our lead guitar player decided not to continue. It may be for the best- he wasn't interested in playing the music that we were playing and I think he had another iron in the fire. He is a good player...

I would rather play as a four piece (guitar, bass, drums, vox)... but I think the consensus is getting a new lead guy.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    We've been going through this exact same thing, only with drummers. The first one lasted three practices and a gig, the next one opted out after our first jam with him. A couple of us want to bring on a guy that's already in a couple other bands, but another guy in the band is adament we find a guy who's not already committed anywhere else. Which makes it pretty hard cause around here, almost all the good players have at least a couple of projects going already.

We are not some slacker garage band, all of us have been playing 25-years plus and a couple of us were touring pro's back in the day. We all have day jobs so are only asking for a commitment of one night a week rehearsal but that seems to be hanging people up.