Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here we go again-those who have played F basses and Sadowsky 24 fretters.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the opportunity to get a really nice, 4 month old, barely used Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string in mint condition for a more "realistic" price in a color I like.

I just bought the Fbass BN5 and used it on one job and LOVED it. I'm also getting my Modulus equipt with a midrange boost/cut and frequency knob and I still really love my Lakland 5594, but I did notice both with my practice amp and my gig rig how much more "tone", highs, mids, and lows came out of the F bass than the Lakland, but again it was only one job and a couple rehearsals.

I really don't NEED to buy another bass, and only will play maybe 10-12 more gigs in 2002, am not getting a warrantee with the Sadowsky, and won't have a 7 day trial since I'm buying it from a private seller.

I'm again asking those of you who have actually played both basses to best describe the tonal difference if you can. I'm neither married to nor totally loyal to Lakland or Modulus and would not have any second thoughts selling either bass should the Sadowsky sound "better". So ....
    now that I know better what an F bass sounds and plays like, which I wouldn't sell no matter how much different, better, or worse the Sadowsky works for me, I'd like any input from the peanut gallery as of today.

I will be moving ahead with the Sadowsky purchase tonight or tomorrow unless somebody here can convince me not to. What I don't want to hear is why I should buy a Zon or an MTD instead. Don't bother trying to sell me on other choices. I've narrowed it down to I'm either going to pull the trigger on this Sadowsky at a pricepoint that's acceptable like this one, or I'm going to stand pat with what I have and possibly or eventually sell one or two of my current stock up the road when I go bankrupt from GAS.

Thanks

LKaye

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Buy the Sadowsky. If you don't like it, it'll be easy to sell. What is the string spacing on the Sadowsky compared to your other basses at the first 5 frets?.

3. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    To be honest with you, I've never measured the string spacing for the first 5 frets before. I know the neck width is less on the modulus, but all three basses are 35 inch scale. The Sadowsky isn't. I've played 34 inch scale basses as late as about 2 years ago and didn't notice any real difference when switching to 35 inch. I think the string spacing on all my basses are 3/4 except for the Modulus which might be 5/8? or 11/16ths.

What do you feel I should be considering based on what you asked me?

Thanks

LKaye

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Larry, if you can get the Sadowsky at a price you can't get hurt at, go for it. Maybe around $2K or so.

I've played several Sadowskys and I'd say between them and the F's they're more similar than different. I think your description of your F is accurate for me too... it's just "more..." ;). They're not drastically different, they both just work extremely well.

Good luck.

5. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Larry,
    As you know from previous threads, I'm an "F" dealer. I've been lucky enough to have dozens of F-Basses and Sadowskys pass through my hands. Until recently I had never played a Sadowsky that made me go WOW. I just bought a '94 Standard 5 from a customer for less than $1000.00(Yes.....really!!!), and it's so good I've kept it!
    That being said, I've NEVER played an F-Bass that wasn't killer! The feel of the neck, the passive tone, the preamp, the resonance, etc. Every one has a slightly different character, but they're all great.
    The trick to the Sadowsky that I own, is to NOT use the preamp! It gets too big and flabby, too fast. (And yes, it IS a Sadowsky preamp for all those that will ask me to open it and make sure!)
    This is in NO WAY a slam on Sadowskys! I've spoken to Roger many times to verify originality of his basses that I've gotten in trade. He has always been a gentleman and very helpful!
    I say, if you have some disposable income and can afford to buy the Sadowsky without selling something else in the short term....do it! You may find that it's the HOLY GRAIL, or you may not dig it.
    Good luck, and let us know!
    GEEK

6. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Brad, we're talkin' $2400 delivered to Cleveland including a hardshell case. I know this bass ran $3500 new and it sold around April 1 this year. He was already offered $2200 twice and didn't take it, so we worked out a little more so he would. Am I gonna get totally burnt here? I've seen them asking $2800 + for their jazz bass. The 24 f that sold recently from the Low End for $2000 or a little more was not a quilted top and it was last year's model, be it a NAMM show bass or not.

Do you think $2400 delivered is totally out of line for a 4 month old 24 fret with the Sadowsky pickups?

LKaye

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    No, I don't think that's out of line. Of course it's better if it's a really nice looking one and not plain. The trick is what happens if you don't like it.

In this market, I think you can still get that money for a nice used Sadowsky but you may have to wait a little longer to do it. Then again, maybe not...it depends on how desirable the bass is.

You can't get totally burnt with that bass unless something is horribly wrong (something I've never seen or heard of with a Sadowsky). Is the warranty transferable? It would be handy to know.

So... what does it look like?

8. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Are you suggesting that compared to the F bass (by the way, I find the single coil tone killer on mine and have never really tried to f with the humbuckers/dual coil to make it work) you're preferring running the Sadowsky in passive mode to get the best tone? I had an Aguilar pre-amp in a Pulcinella bass about a year ago and the bass and treble were voiced too low and too high respectively. The F Bass's tone controls are voiced just "right" to me and I really didn't have to F with them a whole lot. The thing that did happen was when I pulled that bridge pickup know up to turn on the single coil, I got totally blown away.

This is not about whether I have disposable income. I'm going to end up borrowing the money anyway. It's about whether I can cover my part time needs with what I already have which I really think I could and getting somethng I always wanted but certainly couldn't afford new or couldn't get myself to spend that kind of money on from a "value" point of view. For the price I got on this one, it was several hundred less than I just spent on the F bass I bought, and slightly less than the Lakland I bought two years ago.

I have to believe that the 24 f sounds a bit different than their jazz type bass because if nothing else, different pickups and different pickup location for the neck pickup. It's definitely closer to the bridge hopefully making the bass more punchy and less bottomy and "flabby" as you put it.

I know it won't cost $1000 like the 4 string you got!! And it won't cost $2000 like the one that Brian Barrett just sold a week or two ago, but it also isn't $2800 to $3600. Worst case I'll trade it to you for another F bass sometime!!!

Please feel free to comment on the above ranting!!

Larry

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Everything you just said makes sense to me. I also agree about the F bass controls... they're exactly where I want them. How the heck did he do that?:D

10. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It's the Transparent Red with the quilted top and black hardware that's been on ebay a couple of times so far. Maple fretboard, some but not a ton of fingerboard graining. There's some nice pictures on the Sadowsky site of it in the "sold" section below what's available. The warrantee is NOT transferrable as I spoke to Roger today about that very thing. They obviously will fix anything and I'm sure at a reasonable price but darn, the bass looks really nice, yeah it's not blue or blue green like everything else I own, but I think it's quite attractive, nice quilt etc. I think it's 3691? on the site and about 25 sales down the website.

If you see it, let me know what you think!!

L

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I agree, the bass looks really nice and it's apparently like new.

While I can't guarantee resale value on it, there are a handful of builder whose products have solid resale value. Sadowsky, MTD, Fodera and F bass are basses you rarely see at giveaway prices. Sounds like at the absolute worst you'll have a 5 month old bass that you might take a slight loss on. That's probably the worst that would happen.

The best would be that if it did push your buttons, you got a like new Sadowsky for a very nice discount.

The rest is on you:D

12. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Boys need toys, especially older boys. It's one of our few advantages. It's called 4.75% credit card!!

The guys in my band can't stand that I bring a different bass it seems to every gig we do. Well, I can't bring a different woman any more, so this is the next best thing. Nice neck, thin body, well dressed, and it pays me to let my fingers do the walking!!

Hey,it's gonna have to do.

LKaye:D

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My main band actually enjoys seeing what I bring to the gigs.

I still end up soundling like me so it's no big deal. The Roscoe 7 did raise a few eyebrows though:D

14. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    My guitar player would have a total cow if I brought a sixer, let alone a seven string to the gig. I owned a Yamaha TRB6P for about a year and a half (my normal shelf life on basses) and it really screwed with my left hand. I also didn't play chords and really couldn't justify the c string for as little as I get into the very upper register.

Also, It was like pulling teeth for me not to play 1 5 1 5 for the first 64 bars of mack the knife. Throwing in the octave occasionally almost cost me my gig 4 years ago, but we persevered and convinced everyone that in a Motown,disco, swing, pop setting, bass has to be upfront. Solid, fit the groove, but UP FRONT to really sound authentic. Playing polka riffs because other musicians aren't educated or flexible stylistically is not acceptable to me. I let them know that, and they gave in, to their advantage.

The comment I had 2 Saturdays ago when I first played the F bass was "you better not sell this one!!"

Have you owned a Sadowsky 5 at any time? You also mentioned that you didn't feel, if I'm wrong let me know, that the Sadowsky's sound and the F's aren't that dissimilar? Were you speaking of the 24 fretter or their single coil jazz-like bass?

Hopefully I'll receive shipment on the Sadowsky before next weekend when we have an actual doubleheader Saturday night and sunday afternoon.

L

15. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Dood, you only live once. You will regret it later for not buying it. Go for it. We will support you in your decision :) Sounds like a GREAT price.

16. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It's a go on my end. Just have to get hold of the seller's "agent" tomorrow AM and make arrangements. Hopefully the feeling is mutual on the seller's end!!

Like I've been told, worst case sell it if ya don't like it and maybe it'll cost a few hundred if that.

I agree, ya only live once. A couple of grand is cheaper than 2 packs of cigarettes a day!!

L

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Larry, I haven't had a chance to take a peek at the bass on Roger's site but I'm sure it's a beauty. It sure sounds like the price is very much in the ballpark. I've found it VERY RARE to see a used Sadowsky for under $2.5K. If they get much lower than that they sell PDQ. In fact there is a waiting list at New Jersey Guitar & Bass for used Sadowskys.

Brad is sure right about the hot ticket basses for resale. The Lakland use to be up there but now it's seems that they are only valuable for firewood. But if you decide that the Sadowsky doesn't do it for you it should be easy to sell or use for a trade toward something else.

I really WISH that I could give you a comparison between the F Bass and my Sadowsky. But maybe someday soon. But from one of the comments that Brad made I might be changing my mind and going for a Roscoe SKB.

I have a Vintage 5 and I consider it "my axe". It just works the best for what I want and expect out of a bass. GibsonGeek is right, in some respect, about the preamp. It's kinda like the Eden amp EQ section. VERY powerful so just a small move of the tone controls is all that is needed. I never play mine in passive mode and most of the time I have the EQ set flat.

I've had bass players in the audiance tell me that they can't believe how clear the fundamental is from that bass.

I do notice a considerable difference in playability between my Lakland and even my MTD and the Sadowsky. This is really only noticable down around the first 5 frets, though.

I sure wouldn't worry about the warrenty. I've never heard of any issues with any of Roger's basses.

Good luck if decide to go for it. I would recommend that you make an agreement with the seller that you can return the bass if it doesn't meet your expectations. And if you do return it then let us TB'ers know that it is available. I'm sure that someone here would jump on that bass in a heartbeat.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've never owned a Sadowsky but that has more to do with me being a cheap, opportunistic bastige than anything else. I've been to Roger's shop a couple of times and I like what I played (and I definitely like Roger and his crew, except for maybe the new guy), considered buying but then, as usual, some other weird deal would pop up (seen my latest Brubaker?).

The single coils on both brands have serious bite to them, very Jazz-like IMO. Hard to describe, meatier than most other basses and I think that's what I've found I like. No mud.

Then again, I think that's the idea. I lucked into an F and couldn't be happier.

But I'm still looking. Sick, ain't it?;)

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Go for it. I have a vintage 5 and a vintage 4. Both are great. I had a 24 fret 5 for a while but I sold it. I prefer 21 frets. That's just me. I also own an F bass and it's great, too. The Sadowskys are easy to dial in on stage and sound great. I think the F's are a little easier to play. Fantastic action. Worse case senario, sell it and get 95% of your $ back. The quilt top is nice. Mine was purple. Let us know how you like it

Rob

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Buy, Buy, Buy!!!

There must be a Sadowsky GAS virus going around, and this forum is the primary vector. There sure are a lot of TBers looking at these lately, and also the F Bass as well.

I've been looking at Sadowskys myself, but I'm not willing to pay the "brand new" price. I just missed grabbing a 5 at Bass Central. It got sold to a buyer from Japan. It was used, but in like new condition at an asking price of $2,999. shucks.