here we go titans!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

whew we almost blew that!
  2. an amazing game. one of the best i've ever seen. the secondary killed the steelers tho. it was clear that steelers were calling the time out, the refs didnt see it....what a game though.

edit: correct me if im wrong, but is that last penalty a reviewable call? if it is, then the refs...*stream of obsenities*

edit2: ok, it wasnt, but the stream of obsenities still exists! that last call IMO is total.... he fell.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    thats why it was a 5 yard running into the kicker and not a 15 yard roughing the kicker
  4. :(

Hell of a game...but Steelers deserved to lose that one. Our (yes, I've suffered through enough disappointments that I'm now officially part of the team) secondary is awful. As Bill Simmons on ESPN's Page Two said, "Def Leppard's drummer could throw for 400 yards on them."
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Other than the fact that I have been a Titan fan since even before they were called the Titans, is that I want them to WIN the Super Bowl this year because not one Titan was named to the Pro Bowl. It would be so cool for them to take the SB without a Pro Bowl player. Then the Pro Bowl this year will look so lame without a single player from the BEST TEAM in the NFL!!!:p
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sooner or later, the NFL is going to have to hold the refs' feet to the fire. These games are too important to be lost on bad calls. First the roughing call, and then they tell the Steelers that they had no more time outs left, when in fact they did.
    BTW, congrats to the Titans.
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

On the one hand, I agree that inept refereeing is a frustrating and worrisome factor in sports competitions---not just football, but all sports.

One the other hand I don't think it is entirely possible to take human error out of refereeing, given the speed at which events take place and the ability of a referee to see exactly what did happen from his position when a questioned event takes place. In fact, there may be situations in which no one knows what exactly happened.
    Therefore I think the best anecdote for a team is to play so well that a referee's bad call is not the determining factor in the outcome of a game.

In other words, the quality of refereeing is just one of the many factors that contribute to the challenges of a game including weather, injuries, condition of the playing surface, the fans, nervousness, over confidence or lack of it, time of day...whatever.

Officiating mistakes are just one of the many risks a team runs and they'd better play really well so that the game doesn't come down to a last second play that results in a loss due to a questionable call by the referees. Just as an example-- players who make needless personal fouls. Near the end of the Titans/Steelers game a Steeler rookie made a costly personal foul that cost crucial yardage. He may have been as responsible for the team's ultimate loss as the final call when Nedney kicked the field goal.

Bad calls can be part and parcel of a loss, but they are seldom, by themselves, the sole cause. One has to consider the game in its entirety. Still, referees have a responsibility to work hard to ensure that their officiating is the very best they can manage and should strive to make their calls above reproach.