Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's a deal no one can pass up...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selta, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    So, I had a gig tonight. I was given a 30 song set list two days ago, and played it tonight. There was supposed to be a 2nd band there also, but they never showed, so we filled the other 2 hours with more tunes. Total playing time of 8-12:10, not to bad. Since it was more or less a sit-in gig/audition for me, I didn't get paid (heck, the band only made $60 for four people anyway! talk about lousy!!), but I didn't care... I was on a pretty good high.
    I was playing pretty darn good, if I'm allowed to brag. A lot of the songs I didn't know in the 2nd set, and was only given the key they were in (when the guitarist would shot it out just before starting the song), but I only had a few minor foul ups! At one point, the guitarists' amp just, stopped working, so the drummer and I filled in... surpisingly enough, that's when the dance floor was the fullest. But anyway...It was a really fun gig.
    So why am I posting this in amps you're asking yourself (or, me actually, but you're saying it to yourself). Well, that's cos of what happened inbetween sets...
    We took a few minutes to sit and cool off, and at this point we didn't know the other band hadn't showed up anyway (we find that out at about 10:05 when they call to cancel...). Anyhoo, I met this guy, his name's Rodger, he lives pretty near me, and was giving me all sorts of compliments on my playing, and how the band was doing great. We get to talking music, as I would do, and he's a pretty accomplished musician. We start to talk gear, and he remarks how my setup sounded great for a pair of 15s. We then somehow advanced to the talk of tube amps, and how even though mine's only a tube pre with SS power, it sounded very much like a tube amp. He then proceeds to tell me he has a, get this, '71 Ampeg SVT with 2 8x10 cabs, and he wants to ditch them. Jokingly, cos I'm broke as sin here, I said "How much to take it all off of your hands"? He then tells me it hasn't been turned on in quite a couple of years, that last he knew the tubes were starting to go and that some of the speakers surrounds were starting to fall apart (the cabs are also from '71). So he gets this thinking cap look on his face, and I'm waiting for a number. He then looks at me, and says:
    "Well, you're pretty smokin' bassist, and since you may need new tubes and a few new speakers... lets say $200"
    I must've crapped myself at this point. He then immediatly said "what? That's about the lowest I can go". I double checked that he in fact said an amount of two hundred american dollars, then got his number, and told him to hold onto it for me. Monday evening I'm driving over to his place and going to fire it up, and if it even turns on, bring it home. Even if there's problems with it, I know plenty of tube guys who'll fix her for me cheaply.
    How is that for highway-robbery? I feel like I'm just stealing it... but he insisted that I pay no more than what he said, and that he's holding on to it for me.
    Needless to say, here's how I feel right now:
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

-Ray

2. WOW... Can't say much more.

Very lucky find. I wish I could find deals like these. :crying:

3. Very Very Awesome- Dont spose you could send one of the cabients my way???

By the sounds of it, if you do buy it some of the speakers need replacing (as do mine) So I can give a bit of advice there- Give the guys at www.USSPEAKER.com a call, they have replacment SVT speakers supprisingly cheap you just need to quote the model number. :)

What an awesome deal- you obviously turned some heads with your playing, and it sounds like you had an awesome gig too. Congrats :)

4. Thats not fair :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

thats a screamin deal even if the head needs to be delbt with

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Wait till you get home before turning it on....

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
  7. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow. Someone's got good karma. ;)

I bet you win the lottery now.
    Scum! ;) :D

8. ****

bastard

prick

bastard

prick

bastard

prick

bastard

prick

Nice one tho ;)

9. On a less verbal note, sell one of the 810's, you'd make back the money you spent on it all and probably have enough left for the retube and some pocket change!

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Brad just got sussed.

11. pwned ;)