1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Here's a "how do I get this sound" thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by somedumbguy, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I don't know my pedals well enough to even have the first clue, so I ask you guys, what effects if any, is he using to get that tone?

2. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Im not a dirt expert, but sounds like a digital distortion of some sort, maybe an active bass with lots of highs into a multi-effect? I could be way off.

3. it sounds like almost all/most of the effected parts are guitars and the bass just has a high gain OD sound,... have to admit especially in the chorus where drums guitar and bass play together it sounds wicked in the mix!

4. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    jeez, I actually thought the opening guitar part was the bass... haha.. have my sub turned up now and you're painfully correct theunknowndude :smug:

5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Congrats, dude, excellent idea for a thread !

Our band mostly plays originals, but we do cover "Keep on rockin' in the free world". I get close to his sound with the SansAmp on a overdrive setting and a little chorus. Not much mystery there, but its my small contribution.

6. That bums me out so much, I was thinking it was bass.

And yes, when they are all rocking out, the bass sounds pretty wicked.

On a different note than, is it possible to get that opening riff sound out of a bass? Anybody have an idea what kind of effects the guitarist is using there?

7. I think you could get a smilar thing by having a bass slapped/popped with a digital distortion with the EQ on the distortion for lows turned down and highs turned up? thats just what I hear in my head... and it can be hard with these things, sometimes the intro to a song can actually be a very tone shaped effected bass peice and people think its a guitar, I'm sure most people thought that when they heard the intro to Tool - 46 and 2.

only thing that gave it away in this song was the very simple but thudding bass line when it joined was rumbling through my sub and the other parts weerent haha :)