Here's a little tip for ya

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by taviswardlaw, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Something I overheard in a completely unrelated-to-music conversation, was sensory deprevation. Basically it works on the principle that when one of your senses is impeeded, your others perc up to compensate. So when I'm practicing, I turn the lights off so it's completely dark. The benefits from this are as follows:

You get to learn where the frets (or notes) are by feel

You listen to the sound of the notes much more

You can really concentrate on that metronome (because ofcourse you ALWAYS PRACTICE WITH A METRONOME!!!)

But just remember that this isn't always a great way to practice your sight reading... :p
    I'd recommend this technique to anyone because I've found it really life what I get out of practice... :)
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'm always looking for tips to help me play better. Thanks dude.
  3. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's how I used to prep for competitions when I was a pianist. Try doing a 24 page section of a concerto for two pianos from memory, in the dark! It really does sharpen things up.
  4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Thanks, I should try this for a bit. I struggle on gigs when I can't see because of bad lighting.
  5. Broken Guilt

Broken Guilt

Jan 28, 2005
    Thanks for the tip. It's good to try new things frequently in music.
  6. Great tips there! Sometimes I'll practice (I'm a keyboardist) blindfolded, with my eyes shut, or with the lights out just because then I can concentrate on the sound.

I remember one time I was rehearsing this fast swing tune with a guitarist and drummer. We were trying to get the drummer off the sheet music (he's that type of drummer), so the guitarist reached over and turned off the lightswitch. We were in a practice room, so it was completely dark. I was lucky because I had the tune memorized. :)
  7. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yup, I love doing that. Just instead of really practising, I turn on my Boss GT-6B and get some really wierd psychedelic **** going. Though today I practised my right hand speed :D

A cool thing to have in the darkness is a lava lamp... hehe :bassist:
  8. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Jeff Berlin would have something interesting to say about this topic...
  9. hahaha lol :D
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you really want to challenge yourself, tune your fretless to fifths and practice that in the dark.
  11. Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    I found in lessons, that often while I put down a solid beat, my teacher will pick up his guitar and do some soloing. I found I had to seriously concentrate b/c his rhythm would throw me off. After a while I could sort of 'tune him out' and concentrate on my bassline and the drum machine (used as a metronome).

12. I don't employ this technique all the time, but I do shut the lights off when I'm running the setlist for a show a couple days in advance. I figure it'll help me take my eyes off the fretboard, and get me used to playing on a dark stage before I have to do it for real.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    General question: Why not close your eyes?
  14. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I play fretless as well as DB, and I can honestly say that I have never turned off my lights and practiced. However, it is always good to close your eyes sometimes and focus on the pitches that you are getting.
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think it's a good idea to tune-out another musician that you're performing with, especially in a three-piece band!

Was he just bad, and didn't know it? Was his playing actually really good or complex, and that's what distracted you?

Do you play in a band?

16. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, if you TUNE HIM OUT like you said, that's a bad thing, but if you're getting used to concentrating more on your bass groove and keeping it in the pocket, then that's awesome. :bassist:
  17. Because I'm never going to be in a performance situation where I have to play with my eyes closed... you do make an interesting point though.