Here's a mystery for you!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blipndub, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Tonight I installed a SD Antiquity neck pickup in my Jazz bass. At first it sounded really good punchy and nice definition, but I soon realized that it was slipping out of phase when I brought the un-replaced bridge pickup in, so when I have both pots all the way up i get a tinny out-of-phase sound.

Also, my G string sounds like it's running through a chorus pedal! Noticeable wobble and flutter to the tone that increases in rate the further up the neck I go. I thought it was an intonation problem (I’ve not had that problem before) but then i thought it must be the phasing issue.

The SD has considerably more output than the stock Fender pup. Could having two pickups with different outputs make all this happen?

Any other ideas why this is going on?!

The story of the Antiquity pickup is a good one that I'll relate later. In short they are really hard to come by...
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You wired them out of phase. Switch the cables of one of the pickups and it'll be ok.

As for the wobbly G string, that's hard to answer without actually seeing and hearing that bass. Maybe the new pickup is too close to the G and affects its movement with its magnetic field. Or it just may be a side-effect from the PUs being out of phase.

Usually it's best to change the entire pickup set.