Here's a new one I haven't seen before.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Mar 22, 2004.

1. I'm selling my 4 string American Deluxe Jazz. I've put it on this forum and on Harmony Central. I got this email from a guy in England saying he was real interested in buying my bass and would I accept a certified check. I emailed him that I would. The next email I get says that he has a friend in the states that ows him $7,000 and that he wants his friend to send me the $7,000 and for me to take from it whatever I need to pay for the bass and send the bass and the remainer of the money to him :meh: There has to be some catch to this. Does anybody know what is up with this?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's a scam.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Don't do it. It is a scam.
  4. I figured it had to be a scam, but, what is the scam?
  5. The scam is that you lose your bass, plus $7000 minus the value of your bass.
  6. How does this come about?
  7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

The cashiers check is counterfeit. They come to you, so you don't know their real location and there is no way to track them down.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Yep. :spit:
  9. I emailed him back and said that I wasn't interested in working through any 3rd party and that all negotiations would have to be with him personally. I never thought of couterfeit chashiers checks. Thanks for the heads up.
  10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    hey, agree too it. tell him you sent the bass, he'll say he never got it, say that you are sueing him :p. just kidding though ;).
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, If you worked it right, you could just have him send it. Then deposit the money, and see if it goes. If it does, then do your thing, if it doesn't, don't do anything.
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    One of the oldest scams in the book, if you even consider dealing with this guy on any level, you are a fool.
  13. I informed them that they'd be welcome to stop by my place with cash. Never heard of them again :D
  14. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Did the exact same thing with the same results. This seems to be the best way to deal with them. can't tell you how many times I've gotten that same email for things I was selling.