Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's a new one.......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Herman, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    OK, so this isn't the usual "this bass or that bass?" or "that cab or this cab?" thread.

I have $200 bucks burnin' a hole in my pocket (read: "My wife has authorized me to spend $200 on bass toys") and there are a couple of things I'd lke to get but I can't get them both.

First, I've been thinking about getting an inexpensive second bass. I've had just one bass since I sold two basses to buy my L-2000 about a year ago. I liked having another bass just for variety and, in this case, I may want to mod the cheap bass a little (new pups, bridge, tuners) just as a side project. If I got a second bass, I'm leaning toward an SX PJ or possibly an OLP MM2.

My other choice is to forget about the second bass and get a Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI - something that I think will improve my overall tone if I use it as a pre-amp directly into my Peavey's power amp input.

So, the question for those with either inexpensive basses, Sansamp BDDIs, or both is: do you think I'd be better off with the improved sound quality (I think) and tonal options that the BDDI would give me or a second, inexpensive bass?

If anyone has used the Sansamp BDDI with an L-2000, I'd be really interested to hear from you on what that did for your sound.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Look into pedals some more. You might be able to find a nice Aguilar pre for under 2 bills on ebay.

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Sorry Herman, I have no advice. I do have a question for you or anyone else.

How does the BDDI assist active pickups, or does it?

Thanks,

DCat

4. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    If by "assist" you mean does it boost the level enought to drive a power amp direclty, then I think it does. I've read on TB that the BDDI can be used as a pre-amp. The older model needed a mod (take out one surface mount resistor) to drive the a power amp effectively while the latest model has a toggle switch that essentially gives you a high or low gain selection.

5. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    I would get the Sansamp. You could use it for other things, like going direct to a PA or for recording.

6. a bit off topic here but I didn't want to start a thread about this.

What the heck is a power amp and how does it work? Is this what you use seperate pre amps for?

As for my advice go with the new bass. Better to have two cars to drive than one nice one with a new muffler. :D

7. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq/

8. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Buy a second bass. Getting an SX fretless would be a wonderful experience, a different point of view for your playing and musicanship.

The pre-amp would be cool, as would other effects etc, etc.... but the fretless would make you a better musician.

9. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    Sansamps are nice. I used mine as a preamp for over a year, running through a Crown power amp into my Ampeg cab. I was able to get a pretty decent sound that way. However, my front of the house sound was awesome. I've also used it while playing in the house band at some open mics and just ran it through the PA. It was really great to walk into a place and only having to make one trip by myself instead of four or five trips with a helper. I always take it to every show, as my insurance against something happening to my amp. It was a good $200 spent. However, I really need a backup bass. So, either way is good.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sell the L-2000, and combine that money with the $2K to buy a killer bass like a Roscoe, Sadowsky, or Skjold. You won't NEED a Sansamp to improve your tone with any of those basses. :D

What I don't get is that the two things you are thinking about buying are no where near $2K. What are you going to do with the remaining $1500 or so if you get an SX and a Sansamp?

-Mike