Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

here's a rig. your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muhammadsmith, Nov 16, 2002.

1. what i want to do with the mad g's i'm earning at foot action:

OLP Musicman copy bass <- replace the bridge and the electronics with good hardware and seymour duncan humbucker, maybe a used bartolini (sp?) off ebay

-> sansamp RBI -> carvin dcm1000 -> avatar 4x10 w/eminence speakers

lot's of lb.'s on the rack, i know, but good?

i'm going off harmony-central reviews for this gear, but i'd like to hear responses here. of course i'm going to try what i can before i buy....

2. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    sounds good but why don't you just buy a musicman instead of tricking up the OLP

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I agree with phil: that oughta be a decent rig. But you might want to consider getting a better bass too, or even first. Any amp rig can only work with what it's getting from the bass, and there's only so much you can do with replacement PUs etc.

If $$ is an issue--and when is it not?-- you might consider reallocating your resources, putting aside some for a used real MM, or maybe an import Lakland or MTD, and going for a Carvin R1000 (which you can probably find used) instead of the RBI plus DCM1000. If you subsequently want the RBI, you could then just use the R1000 for a power amp. The amp part of the R1000 is pretty much the same as, if not indeed identical to, the DCM1000.

4. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    OLPs are pretty junky.... a new bridge and electronics will not make it even in the same ball park as a real MM.

5. yeah, but how much $ are we talking about for a real music man? i'm on a budget. i figure an olp bass was about as much as i could ask for at christmas, and i could buy everything else....

maybe i could try asking for an olp and then use it as a backup....

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Muhammad,

I agree that the OLP will never be a substitute for an MM. That said, I think you're correct to upgrade your amp first. IME, a crappy amp makes everything sound like crap, whereas a rockin' amp (like the one you're thinking of) can often make low-budget bass sound good.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    look into yamaha basses. they sound much better than anything in the same price range. also look into used power amps locally and on ebay. there are some great deals to be had!!!

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Used IBANEZ ATK....

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  10. thanks everyone! i've been in and out all day, everytime someone else has given me helpful advice.... you all are great!

11. hmm... now that i look at this, i like the idea.... i could get an r1000 used plus a sansamp bass DI (basically the same thing as the RBI but not a rackmount and no mid control) used for about as much if not less than a dcm1000 + RBI, and i'm thinking all of it will weigh less. thanks

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It stinks.

13. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I will 2nd that! If it's an ATK, you must get the ones made in the good ol' U.S. of A. I think that could only be the 305 ones...not to sure. But I got one, and it's USA made, and it's great!
    Now I know for a fact that a MM is not in your budget. Used is 800- your whole rig combined in price. So yeah, the OLP is a good idea, except you'd be paying about the same for a better bass with all that stuff in it anyway. Actually I just recently got an OLP 5 string, and I'm lovin' it. So I think it'd still be cool to have as a backup.
    Anyway, I don't remember about your rig set up...so I can't really try to comment on it.
    Basically with getting equipment, you can do all the budgeting in the world, either way it's gonna be expensive...at least for good items it will be. So make sure ya completely know what you want, and just save up for it. It'll all work out for ya!

Hope that helps! :D

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I have the one made in korea. it kicks major arse. usa or not, their great. it's an awesome 4 banger. greatest ibanez bass ever made. You can get one for around 300 bucks used.