He'res A Tough One

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Ok get your debate skills ready because as far as i can tell these are both excellent Fenders for the money and i'm not sure which one i like better. So on to the question, a Fender Aerodyne or the Geddy Lee? Both have their appeals, but i just can't make up my mind. Driving me crazy! :p
  2. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Flip a coin...best three out of five wins. :D

sorry really can't help out on those two basses..but thats what I do sometimes when faced with a hard decision/or just cant make up my mind.
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Make a list of +/- points for each one on a piece of paper. Then give a positive priority score of +1 to +5 for each good point and -1 to -5 for ech bad. Total up the scores. After doing this, you'll probably be convinced you've wasted 20 mins of your life and a sheet of paper.

Then order both.
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
  5. I own both the Geddy Lee Jazz and an Aerodyne Jazz (my Aerodyne was made for the Japanese market but is very similar to the American model which I also tried at the same time I bought my current Aerodyne). I find the Geddy Lee to be by far the best one for the money, the neck is super slim and the action is truly amazing. It has, by far, the best sound I've ever heard come from a Jazz bass and it was a bons for me cause I love Badass II bridges which the Geddy Lee came with. The only thing I can knock it the tuning machines, they feel rather cheap and aren't as responsive as I would like to see. I have a thread running now as I am looking at replacing them and if you do get a Geddy Lee you may want to consider this option.

The Aerodyne Jazz plays very well, the action is great but I find the sound to be a little overpowering if you're only using the Precision pick up (cause we all know the Aerodyne is really just a Precision/Jazz bass on steroids) and the Jazz pick up gives a nice warm tone. The color (mine being grey with a black pickguard, matching greyh headstock and grey hardware) is very nice and the bass is a definite lookers.

To be honest, I bought this one not because it sounded better than the American Aerodyne but because of the fact that it sounded just as good and was more aesthetically pleasing and I find something wrong with the look of Fenders with no pickguard.

Here is the link for the Geddy Lee Tuners thread.

And here is a link showing what my Aerodyne looks like.

Hope I have been of some assistance. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.