Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

here's a tough one..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fell, Dec 10, 2005.

1. fell

fell

Jul 31, 2005
    somerset
    does anyone know of a bass that is near-perfect for both slap and metal?? i havent found anything that's really any good, and i'm currently coping with a dean that isn't too special for either.
    post pics and links if you want, or if you want to show off a bass that fits in to what i'm asking, please go ahead.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Near perfect? No.
    Perfect. Jazz bass.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Warwick Thumb...sounds great slapped, growls for metal...

sounds good for pretty much everything imo!

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warwick thumb. Ryan martinie of mudvayne, says it all. Growly as hell fingerstyle tone, slaps like a beauty. If i played metal, thats the bass i would be using.

5. fell

fell

Jul 31, 2005
    somerset
    yeah, i hadnt thought of ryan martinie, i really admire him and his bass does sound immense. thanks. one problem though, i'm an intermediate level player and i could neither justify or afford a thumb so, on revision, what pretty damn good basses are available like this for a lower price??

6. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    a nice fender jazz. near-perfect for nearly every imaginable music genre.

7. fell

fell

Jul 31, 2005
    somerset
    i can understand the whole fender jazz thing and they are good but is there anything else? i prefer basses with a more direct look/attitude and some jazzes ive tried are hella-heavey

8. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Besides a fender jazz, or warwick, If you don't have that kind of cash...... My EDA kicks a$$ for slap style and has a nice percussive sound for hardcore as well... You can find those used every now and then for a few hundred bucks on the bay but , they have been discontinued :scowl: . I say go for a used 5 Jazz or mexi jazz if you can't afford a warwick...And snatch up an EDA if you come across one.

Hey Pac, lookin forward to your review on that B2 :)

Peace.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IMO the EDA's sound like crap, all the luthite things do.

But to each his own.

10. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    IMO Luthite sounds as good if not better than most maple basses... Just go try one out for yourself... the whole Luthite thing has been posted on. I get great tone from mine, It's not the bass it's the player.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I doubt its the luthite, i just think ibanez electronics are weak. All of their basses without bart pickups sound like poop.

12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
  13. You know, I'm surprised that Figjam didn't mention the Stingray/Sterling option, although you might not like that if you don't like the look af a jazz. If you think a jazz bass is too heavy, you definitely don't want a Warwick.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Er i mean STERLING!!!!!! GRAWRRR

heh but i honestly dont think the tone fits metal as well as a thumb, thumbs sound so dark. The sterling slap tone is really funky and happy.

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    preowned Warwick Corvette Standard.

16. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    G&L Tribute L2000 or L2500 does it all and for not too much money.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hey man, I'm looking forward to getting it! As soon as I do, I'll review!

18. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    To be honest, look at any bass Flea has played over the years. He's made slapping and popping in metal an art form. From Spectors to Music Man and beyond, they should all be acceptable.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Flea doesnt play metal.