Here's a tough one!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanezist, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    SWR Workingman 15 vs. Carvin PB200-15

SWR Workingman 15 and Carvin PB200-15 both pump out 160w's to the internal speakers. The Carvin can be changed to a stereo type sound by pluggin a speaker up creating 60w's to one speaker, and 60w to the other. The SWR has a ext. speaker hook up that will pump out 200w's to that speaker. Personally, I believe SWR has better tone than Carvin, and SWR's speakers are built better. Here are the prices

Carvin - $399
    SWR - $699

What is your opinion on this?
  2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Well, you asked for opnions, so don't nobody argue w/ ME!:D

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Carvins, although they make quality gear priced below market-just not to my liking.

I used a SWR WM10 for awhile, that series is a pretty good product. The 10 was a little sterile for me; I really like both the 12 & 15 though.

For what they are,the WM's are priced fairly-
    Like I said, Carvin is prices below market, they only sell direct, etc.

I've played with a # of them on gigs, from the PB
    combos to the RC's. As I said, not for me-Good though.

OK- so I think that you'll get better tone w/SWR, and if/when you trade or sell, you might get more dollar.
    There's 1 reply!
  3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    the SWR is defenilty the better choice here. if you were to put up against the RC210 combo, itd be a tough call (i chose teh RC210) but because not only is the amp top rate, but the speakers are good in that combo as well... the SWR gets my vote in this matchup. i played an upright gig on it once at a jazz festival.. absolutly wonderful tone, it really blooms out into an amphatheater well. the place holds probably 1000 people in 2 tiers, and te thing didnt need PA assistance
  4. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    SWR is better, in my opinion as well... But in the consideration of price, what do you plan on doing with the thing, and/or how long do you plan on keeping it?

I have a Peavey Basic 12 that I use for small "coffee house gigs", and for self-practice. No way in hell would I use it in a large venue, or in a scenario where I felt "tone" was a major consideration (though I feel the SWR WM 15 definitely provides better tone than my Peavey. The Carvin...?) But I have the luxury of using my larger rig (600 watts of pure Mesa THUNDER!) when need be. I bought the Peavey to use when I was not willing to lug a 4-space rack and a 100 lb. 4x10 around with me.

If this will be your only amp that you will use for some time (and not be overcome by Gear Acquisition Syndrome within a few months), spend the extra $$$ and get the SWR. If you know you are going to move up to something bigger and better in the future, if this is a secondary amp, or if you have not yet defined “your” tone, go with the Carvin.

Also: The SWR will split it's 200 watts between two equal impedance speakers (8 ohm & 8 ohm). So each speaker (the internal speaker & the external cab) will receive 100 watts. The way Carvin does it is kind of weird, to be honest. Plus 8 ohm "extension" cabs are more common. The Carvin would require a 4 ohm cab to pull its full juice. You will typically only find cabs that are designed to stand on their own in a 4 ohm rating (typically). Putting 60 watts into such a cab probably won't give you the best results.
  5. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    SWR! I am assuming you don't mind paying more for it.

When I was shopping for an amp, I found that there were more Carvin reviews that said they had reliability problems than I would like to see. Some people love these amps and have never had a problem but almost half of the reviews I read (10-15) said they had problems so I chose to stay away from their amps. Sounded like some reliability problems that Carvin needs to address. Carvin makes good basses though!

No manufacturer has a perfect record but the SWR reviews had significantly fewer reports on reliability and most of the problems were not too severe.

I only read reviews for reliability issues. What sounds good to me probably does not sound good to everyone so I ignore the sound descriptions and don't buy anything I cannot try out first hand.

P.S. In the price range of the SWR Workingman 15, you may want to try a Hughes & Kettner Bassforce XL (200watts, 1x15 w/Tweeter, $600-700.). I had one for a year and liked it alot until I traded it in my an upgrade to a 600watt H&K 4x10 rig! I love that too! Just my opinion though.