Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's a toughie...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmu, Jun 1, 2004.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    So, now that I am getting my Mesa M-Pulse 360 fixed, do I keep it, or trade it for a Traynor YBA200?? :meh:

2. I say go for the all tube sweetness.

3. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Tubes you thunk? Anyone else?

4. While I love Mesa products, to me.. all tube amps are the most wonderfull amps. They just have the thickness, the grind and sound that I like. I'm no into how quick or how transparent my sound is. Nor do I care how much they weigh. Now thats the way I feel, if you feel the same way then go for tubes. If not stick with the MPulse 360, or trade up for a 600
    :bassist:

5. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I know what you are saying man, and I sort of feel the same way... have you tried the traynor?

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Traynor amps suck. I've had to work on a few, and they were designed so poorly I had to take the speaker out just so I could change a tube! Blech. Stick with the Mesa, or, better yet, get a 400+ if you are dying for tubes.

7. Are we talking a new-gen traynor amp? I know they just released a new one... don't count them out yet.

8. Trade all the way!

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the new tube head looks good to me... 4x 6550 power!

I'm wait for word about the localish (hour away) dealer to get one in I can try out.

I may wait for my new cabinet before heading out though. :bassist:

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Interesting... that was my concern: build quality. However, I am also concerned about the Mesa's build quality, after it seems to dislike the transformer...

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know all the hype about the old Traynors and the rumor that Dan Armstrong smuggled a YBA-3A to Ampeg to produce the SVT.

Still, leave it up to your best judge.........your ears.

12. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Really?! I knew the Traynors were out before the SVT, but where did you hear that from?

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As I mentioned, tmu, it's just a product of the rumor mill and the timing of the product introductions was rather coincidental, if not "curious."
    That Traynor with two 8x10 cabs was something to reckon with for a while, here in the US.

The old monoblock Traynors are still beloved by bassists but I don't know where or how you could get parts/service for them.

14. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Is there any other advice? I am still stuck between the new Traynor, the M-pulse, and the SVP-CL with RMX-850 power amp...

15. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I must say, the Mesa M-Pulse technology gets a very warm tubey sound for having a SS power section. And it's worth sacrificing the minor difference between that and a real tube amp for the sake of weight.