1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Here's a toughie...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmu, Jun 1, 2004.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    So, now that I am getting my Mesa M-Pulse 360 fixed, do I keep it, or trade it for a Traynor YBA200?? :meh:

2. I say go for the all tube sweetness.

3. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Tubes you thunk? Anyone else?

4. While I love Mesa products, to me.. all tube amps are the most wonderfull amps. They just have the thickness, the grind and sound that I like. I'm no into how quick or how transparent my sound is. Nor do I care how much they weigh. Now thats the way I feel, if you feel the same way then go for tubes. If not stick with the MPulse 360, or trade up for a 600
    :bassist:

5. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I know what you are saying man, and I sort of feel the same way... have you tried the traynor?

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Traynor amps suck. I've had to work on a few, and they were designed so poorly I had to take the speaker out just so I could change a tube! Blech. Stick with the Mesa, or, better yet, get a 400+ if you are dying for tubes.

7. Are we talking a new-gen traynor amp? I know they just released a new one... don't count them out yet.

8. Trade all the way!

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the new tube head looks good to me... 4x 6550 power!

I'm wait for word about the localish (hour away) dealer to get one in I can try out.

I may wait for my new cabinet before heading out though. :bassist:

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Interesting... that was my concern: build quality. However, I am also concerned about the Mesa's build quality, after it seems to dislike the transformer...

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know all the hype about the old Traynors and the rumor that Dan Armstrong smuggled a YBA-3A to Ampeg to produce the SVT.

Still, leave it up to your best judge.........your ears.

12. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Really?! I knew the Traynors were out before the SVT, but where did you hear that from?

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As I mentioned, tmu, it's just a product of the rumor mill and the timing of the product introductions was rather coincidental, if not "curious."
    That Traynor with two 8x10 cabs was something to reckon with for a while, here in the US.

The old monoblock Traynors are still beloved by bassists but I don't know where or how you could get parts/service for them.

14. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Is there any other advice? I am still stuck between the new Traynor, the M-pulse, and the SVP-CL with RMX-850 power amp...

15. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I must say, the Mesa M-Pulse technology gets a very warm tubey sound for having a SS power section. And it's worth sacrificing the minor difference between that and a real tube amp for the sake of weight.