1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Here's an outlandish statement to stir things up...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Let's all buy Behringer, Danelectro 'FAB' pedals, and other cheap pedals and give any extra money we would spend on high quality/boutique pedals to charity.

I would suggest at least 60% of our listener's wouldn't notice anyway :eek:

2. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    So you're OK with losing the other 40% of your audience?

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    60% is too low, I'd suggest 98%. That said, I'm a selfish pig and can't let go of my toys.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    That may well be true, but I will notice the difference, and I'm not okay with that. I'll give some money to charity anyway.

5. Conversely, i'd like to suggest stealing from charities in order to afford higher quality effects. I want a POG damnit, I dont care how many people go hungry!!!

;)

(disclaimer: the above text is said in jest and is not intended in any way to shock or offend. The views above do not represent those of talkbass or Roady, and should not be read by anybody.)

6. I said they would notice, rather than not listen anymore.

Yeah, probably more accurate. I'm fairly glad you said 'toys' too, it's probably down to my increasing cynicism regarding effects, but these days I am seeing them much more as 'toys' than 'tools'

7. anonymous9

anonymous9 Guest

Apr 30, 2007
    Id rather go clean all the way.
    Just sell it all and donate half or something.:smug:

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have some tools, and some toys. Which ones are which will sometimes fluctuate depending on my needs at the moment.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Trust me they know when they hear a big crackle a pop and your foot go straight through that plastic piece of crap :p

10. "Dude, the bass player in this band is clearly using a Danelectro pedal. I'm outta here."

11. OR I can keep saving money I earn for botique pedals and just consider the work for the habitat for humanity with my dad that I do to put me at even.:bassist:

12. You're only as cool as your most expensive pedal here in the effects forum.

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I thought it was the number of blue LEDs.

14. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    99% of my audience is me. I've played one gig this year and used no effects. So as far as my effects go, they're all toys and I am the audience.

15. Sorry, but it's my money and I've earned it with my effort and my sweat. I'm not going to give money that I want to spend in myself, but I would give spare money which I haven't got a thing to spend on.

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've got 5 - I must be awesome! :D

(And it might be 7, if I change out the last two red LEDs on my pedalboard :smug:)

17. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    But getting back to the OP...

I'd love to see a Behringer or Danelectro pedal/accessory that can:

• Handle and sound like the Morley Power Wah
    • Be as radically flexible and bizarre as an EHX Bass Micro Synthesizer
    • Provide the tonal flexibility and unique mix-cutting midrange of the MXR Blowtorch
    Until then, I'll consider my toys to be carefully selected and sonically worthwhile investments that even the audience would notice :D

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Most of the audience think the bass is a funny looking guitar.

As one, uh, "reputable" poster here on TB once had as their sig line:

Life's too short for cheap gear.

I couldn't agree more.

19. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    really: effects work very well with some gigs, and horribly with others.
    i think you should have good effects and an even better sense of when to use them.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

20. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I guess I'm $300 worth of cool then, damn...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021