Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's everyone's chance to say "I told ya so!"

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ksdaddy, Apr 12, 2003.

1. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    Two lessons I have learned in the past few months, the results of which I WAS WARNED ABOUT AND DID NOT LISTEN. Here's your chance to get a chuckle. Number one, when fitting a new bridge, don't make it too thin, or within a couple months, you'll have a warped bridge. So I'll be ordering another one, and hopefully not be so cocky this time. Number two, I would like to pass on a bit of advice to anyone contemplating installing adjustment wheels on their bridge. This is a job for the pros. If you think it's an easy job and don't want to pay to have it done, here's my advice: Go to your workbench and open up your bench vise just wide enough to slip the fingers of your left hand into. With your right hand, slowly and with steady pressure, begin tightening the vise. (It would be a good idea to have a good, clean crew sock stuffed in your mouth at this point.) Continue tightening the vise until the urge to install adjusters on your bridge subsides.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, installing adjusters is not that difficult. You just need the right tools and some woodworking skills...

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Please, let's not talk hand-crushing around here. They're talking spanking in another thread, but I think those guys are in the wrong forum.

A better punishment:
    • get a box
    • put a ghetto blaster in it
    • put in a Kenny G disc (any will do, but the one with the Louis Armstrong overdubs is best, IMHO)
    • get the thing to loop forever
    • stick your head in the box

Or, you could get a drill press, a drill press vise, and a 1/4x20 tap.

4. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    Well, don't get me wrong, the adjusters WORK, I'm just not happy with the neatness (or lack thereof) of my work. A couple positives, though, I did it on a bridge that was on it's way out, so no real harm done, and secondly, I discovered how much better my bass sounds with a little higher action. Yeah, it's stiffer, but the tone improvement is worth it.

5. If you learned something from it there really isn't a problem.
    Have someone else do the work or if you are trying to learn the trade suck up the mistakes.
    In all honesty I had a real problem going from EB to DB and trying not to use my left thumb to pull down the strings. Once I gashed my thumb putting on new strings it really helped me to not use my thumb in an EB way.

But if you suck at it don't bother trying to get better. I can put on strings but can't build a bird house. I will not try my own repairs. I am a computer guy and the DB doesn't have much I can solder.