Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's my BEEF (welldone)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Well, I finished fitting the neck to the pocket just now, and thought it'd be way more difficult than it ended up being. I've left the neck template on for now so that I have the centerline as a reference (drawn on template) to line up with centerline of body. It's ended up being just about perfect, so I'm pretty stoked!

I have to hold off drilling the peg holes until later in the week, and since we're having our electrical worked on at our house, it looks like the next few days will be sanding and contouring by hand...

Scroll to the last post for a body closeup

Attached Files:

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Your pickup routes are crooked...

;)

Serioulsy, nice lookin' bass!!
    -robert

3. That is one killer looking bass!!!

That's the same headstock combo I plan on using for my first pure custom in a year or two.

Say, what types of woods did you use to make that puppy???

~Ryan

4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

:eek: :spit: :D

The body is bubinga with a layer of wenge followed by figured bubinga on top. The headstock has more fig. bubinga, and the neck is 5 piece wenge-purpleheart lam. I've still got to drill the "bolt" holes, but everything is fitting so far.

Thanks for the comments!

5. your bass is looking great so far, keep at it!

6. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That is very sharp indeed! Looking forward to more progress shots!!

Jon

7. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    I really admire the way you've been taking your first project so slowly and carefully. I know I'm not the only one sick of newbies that say, "I wanna B a pro luthier ,how do I use a screwdriver, whats wood, can I make a neck out of plastic." :rolleyes: You, however, have been very good about taking your time and thourougly planning your project, asking thought-provoking questions, and staying humble about the whole thing. Kudos to you- you've been an exceptional example to us all.

8. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I ditto what Fat Karl said. Can't wait to see some finished pics. I wish I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to stain and finish my first bass......
    now I'm in a hurry to finish and stain my second. :p

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I've gotta say that the comments and compliments make it all worthwhile (okay, the new bass makes it worthwhile too ;) ). Still, I should give credit where credit is due: I'll take a pat on the back for having the hands, money, and time, but every one of you who has contributed to my posts with your knowhow made this first bass possible. So, pat yourselves on the back...hopefully you know who you are!

10. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Here's a body close-up...used danish oil and finishing wax.

Attached Files:

11. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That is simply gorgeous! Nice job!!!
    It's hard to believe that's your FIRST project...

Jon

12. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Awesome! I love the clean look of the face of the bass (haha, that rhymes :p).

13. *picks jaw off of ground*

Wow.

~Ryan

14. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Wow. A truly beautiful instrument from a - what? A begginer?
    NICE work man.:bassist: .

15. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I really appreciate your kind words!

I installed the electronics today, soldered, shielded the cover, and all the rest. Here's a funny tidbit: before fully installing, I hooked it up, soldered (first time soldering anything, btw) plugged it in and powered up. Not a thing...not a scratch, vibration, nothing. I unplugged it and noticed that that didn't even make a sound. I finally realized that the cable was plugged into the earphone jack...I guess I got too excited. Fixed that and immediately got results: SUCCESS!!! It works, it's quiet, it's loud, it's mine!

Afterthoughts: I'm waiting to hear back from thg on custom knobs, but I know they're busy. I've got odd cuts that I may fabricate a truss rod cover with, and am going to head over to woodcraft to get some brass plates to put my sig on for the headstock. Might as well show folks who made it, right?

16. OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

More pics!!! More pics, then some sound clips!!!

~Ryan

EDIT! And please, post a spec sheet!!! purty please with DR low riders on top???

17. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

-Wenge/purpleheart 5 piece lam neck, wood from woodcraft
    -Bubinga body, wenge lam, figured bubinga top, figured bubinga headstock plate, all from Larry at Gallery Hardwoods, finished with BassKahuna's prescribed Danish oil and wax process
    -Nordstrand NJ5st pup pair
    -Aguilar OBP-3 onboard pre with 5 pots (one double-stacked for a total of 6 controls): treb/bass stack, sweeping mid with push/pull, vol, vol, tone, plus a/p switch
    -Hipshot Ultralites
    -Hipshot style A bridge with the narrowest spacing
    -Schaller straplocks
    -Graphite nut...I was going to try the brass, but it would have looked a little weird. I'm saving for another bass now.
    -Ebony FB with a light colored burl veneer strip to mark frets 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21, and 24. The rest are dyed black maple veneer strips. So far the ebony is unfinished and it has a strong "woody" tone to it. I may epoxy the fb later.
    -Rotosound 88's, the tapewounds. These strings are sick! I've got a set of Thomastik jazz flats here as well, but will hold off until I decide to epoxy it.

I love this bass! I think it turned out so well because I was extremely methodical as far as measuring, following the templates, and continuously referring to the 34" centerline of symmetry.

The few mistakes I made (mainly blemishes from getting impatient with the router) I left uncorrected so that I have a reminder for next time: respect the router! I don't regret the choices I made as far as using the router to do the final tapering of the fingerboard and neck, as I ended up with great precision and saved a lot of time and effort.

For a while, I was going back and forth between making a bass and paying Mr. Bordwell to make one for me. The deciding factor was this: I'd hopefully end up with a pretty good bass, and a much better working knowledge of the bass as an instrument. Plus, I now have the tools for another one, so the expense will be much less the next time. As it is, I'd still like a Bordwell bass, but I'm a better musician for having made my own.

I'll get some more pics and sounds up one I get my recording computer set up again...

18. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Aha! Another addict feel I? In your knowledge of the force, far you have come. Wary of the dark side, you must be. (guitars):D
    Nice Work 'chair.

19. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Take some pics with the bass resting on some white carpet/fabric so that we can see the outline of the bass a little better, the shadows are a little misleading on some of the photos.

looks sweet, nice finish on the body and nice tapered angles on the top horn.

beautiful bass.

Tom

20. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Better?

Attached Files: