here's my ebony macassar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Jun 8, 2001.

1. I posted a thread regarding the custom bass I'm getting, and here's the pic of a Macassar Ebony I got for FREE!!! It's for a finger board of a fretless bass. I'll post the pic of the bass when it's done
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my friend just built a guitar with a wenge neck and macassar fingerboard. it sounds SICK.

3. Adam Bartram

Adam Bartram

May 31, 2001
    London, UK
    I've used Wenge on a couple of bass fingerboards and it seems fine in sound, but it's murder to work with. It's more like cutting frozen chocolate than wood.

I would NEVER do a wenge neck though. I made a Wenge body in a jazz bass shape, and I could hardly lift it. It sounded fantastic, the sustain was unbelievable.

Macassar ebony is quite nice and stable, make a good fretboard, second only to black ebony, in my opinion.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Macassar ebony is definitely my favorite wood. I'd love to have a bass with a top and fingerboard of it.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    um...yeah. :confused: sick is good, BTW. it's probably my favorite guitar ever. better than the 5k PRS i played.

wussie! :D wenge is probably my favorite tone wood, i'd like a bass with body, neck, and fingerboard all WENGE! woooo.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

arvid - Congratulations! I hope it turns out super sweet! ;)

Don't pay too much attention to one bad experience with wenge. The sound of the wood is only as good as the luthier.

Is this being built by your "Enchanted Luthier" in Jakarta or someplace near there?

If you want to see a small example of how beautiful this wood can turn out, look about half way down on the left hand side of It shows part of a macassar ebony guitar back and side that appears on their catalog cover, (which is black and white inside, unfortunately.
  7. Yes they're for the bass being made in that luthier I posted way back. I was just wondering if Macassar ebony is denser or less than the regular african black ebony?......Cause this would be for a fretless...and most often it would be played with a round wound....and I'm concern if it would be worn too quickly.

I saw that sure looks different huh? gets better as you see.....
  8. rickbass

Thanks arvid!

Hell, you practically have that stuff growing in your yard since it's native to Sulawesi and the Celebes. It must be quite reasonably priced for you.

All the info. I have on it makes it sound like African ebony, "very hard, very dense." Both will dull tools quickly.

The only difference I see noted about it that isn't mentioned with the African is that it is very brittle so strength becomes an issue with macassar. However, you're using it in a fretboard so it's not thick like furniture lumber, so I wouldn't sweat the prospect of it splitting. I imagine if you kept up the maintenance on it, it will serve you for a long time, i.e., using pure lemon oil, not the junky "lemon oil" that is sold in U.S. grocery stores that is loaded with alcohol or other things that dry wood out.

Here some more views of beautiful raw macassar that would be suitable for a fretboard (it probably looks smaller than it is with that load standing behind it) - [​IMG]
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh man, I need to get me some of that!

Why not PM John Turner? His 2 main fretless's and his main fretted have macassar ebony fingerboards.
  10. Believe it or not, I got it for free! I'm still thankfull everytime I realise how I got it. I have a friend who owns a raw timber supplier, and I called him up wanting to buy any exotic wood he have for my body top, he got none except 2 planks of Macassar ebony laying around in his office....he said come over and choose which one you want and I can have it....haha!!

Talk about good deals!!? :)

I've just dropped it off in the luhier's place, and they've just laminated the neck....they are terribly slooooow!!!

The bass would probably end up having koa body wings, and laminated maple/rosewood/maple/rosewood/maple in the middle. Same thing with the'll be a bolt on.

I can't wait to see my finished bass!:)
  11. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    We can't either :D
  12. rickbass

Free macassar?!?! What a stroke of luck!

You better get your wallet out for the koa, though, since it only grows in Hawaii. If you can, make sure the koa is from the heartwood. I have some on a neck, not much figure or grain but beautiful orange-brown, close to this -----

Sapwood, or a piece from where the heartwood and the sapwood meet doesn't look nearly as good.