Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's my new Taylor ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Sep 11, 2002.

1. New/used AB-4 built for NAMM 2001. Cool bass!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    wow.... breathtaking!

I can't think of a color that I would rather have on any bass! beautiful....

P@

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Beautiful bass! I had no idea they even made them in tops like that.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I also play gu**ar and I'm not a huge fan of Taylor's guitars but I love their abg's! That one's a beaut too and I bet it sounds great.

brad cook

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    NICE BASS!!

I have Taylor AB 1 , very slima and fast neck. But I seldom play it because the body is too big for me . I feel like hugging a bear:D

7. Yeah, same here. I have a Bourgeois OMC, Huss and Dalton CM, and a McIlroy A25C that's on order. The Taylors seem like they're made for electric players, with the slim neck and all that stuff--and they seem to have a built-in "smiley face" EQ--mids are not great.

As for the basses, nobody makes an ABG like this one.... It does sound really cool, but the bracing is a bit too heavy so it's not loud. It's louder than the AB-2 that I gave up in order to purchase this one, but still not as loud as the Thunderchief.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    uh.. you need to stop buying so many nice basses and leave some for the rest of us ;)

sweet bass man

9. I couldn't have said it better... really nice bass!

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    True dat! I dig the chief and out of sheer pricing issues if I ever got an ABG it would probably be the chief. I prefer AB1 feel and tone but the Chief is good.

The bracing thing is, I think, the reason I'm not so into Taylor. They brace the everloving crud out of them and that seems to make most Taylor's sound basically the same. All that bracing doesn't really let the individual wood selections and other factors really come into play. That said, I think it wouldn't be a bad touring guitar because they are pretty durable. They're overpriced too considering all of the above. I have a Tacoma DM-9E that's got a solid spruce top and solid Honduran mahogany back and sides (all bookmatched of course) and sounds fantastic. I bought it new for 480.00 and I'd put it up against most Taylors.

brad cook

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, don't forget, it's a Taylor, but Steve Klein designed it. I don't think he designed any of their guitars.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. Nice! :) What's the diff between the AB-2 and the AB-4?

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Uh...2???:D

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Schwiing....!

I love my 5 string Thunder Chief, but it sure as hell doesnt look that nice!

If I ever got an acoustic to play plugged in or mic'd and not mainly for unamplified jams, it would definetly be something like that!

Oh yeah, does anyone wanna give me a couple grand so I can get one of those?

Me like!

Peace
    Nick

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good point.

brad cook

16. Yeah, the buyer of my AB-2 requested that I send it to Klein before it got to him so that Klein could do the bracing mod and the RMC pickup mod. I see a lot of promise in the AB series as a "true" ABG and not just an overgrown guitar, so if I can manage to hang onto this one for any amount of time, I will consider getting the Klein mods as well.

geshel, the AB-2 was an imbuia body and top, while the AB-4 is all flamed maple. I guess it's easier to say that the difference is "two".

"It's one loudah...."