Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's my scheme!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Listen, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Ok, it's not a scheme, it's just a simple idea, I'm thinking about just buying a crappy old bass, fixing, and upgrading it, does anybody have ANY suggestions?

2. Yeah, that is done quite a bit. You should probably do a search as well. You just need to find an instrument that can acommidate aftermarket parts well. Anyway, a common option is to buy a new or used MIM P or J bass and then replace the pickups, bridge, tuners, and pots or an East (j-retro) or Raven Labs (Steve Rabe) preamp if you can afford it. Recently people have also been saying that the Essex P and J bass copies available from rondomusic.com are solid and they are very cheap.

-Chris

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    woohoo a reply! I mean, thanks!:)

4. chrisbs

chrisbs

Jan 12, 2002
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How much are you looking to spend total. You might be better off buying a better, used, bass & doing some minor upgrades.

6. i did this too my squier (http://geocities.com/phantomplanet57/pbass.html) you have to do some retro fitting for pick gaurds etc. andu will spend enough money to buy a new bass, but i think all in all it is / was well worth it to see a pile of scrap turn into a very playable nice bass, and the satisfaction of knowing you did it ur self

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's what I'd recommend, too.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I just saw your signature. Why not upgrade your Ibanez?:rolleyes:

9. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I'm looking for a different body shape and color, and my Ibanez has a good shape, but the color is not what I'm looking for. Right now I want a red P-bass sort of thing, like the essex bg-80. And Nino said "how much do you wish to spened total" or something like that. Well as much as a new bass would cost, but like Negative57, it's the satisfaction of doing it by yourself, and seeing a POS too into a fine instrument.