Here's my situation . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickalan620, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Well I have been looking to upgrade from my first bass, a really cheap Ibanez (GAXB? is the specific model) and it is short scale. I have narrowed my choices down to two basses: a new Rickenbacker 4003, or a new Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Price is not an issue but we all like to spend less. I play mainly all types of rock but like to dabble in a lot of different things. My rig right now is a BBE BMax pre and an avatar B212 cab. I know that eventually I will own both of these basses but inbetween the purchase of these basses i want to buy a real power amp (currently using a behringer head to power the BBE) and a quality cab. Alright enough babble out of me, here's the real question. Which bass should I purchase first, the Geddy Lee or the rickenbacker 4003? Keep in mind the bass i buy first will be my only bass for at least a couple months.

Another quick question, is the Fender 75RI jazz worth the money when compared to a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd go for the Jazz first. Its a much, much more versatile bass. Rickenbackers are nice, I've owned one, but they are "their own beast", so to speak. A jazz, on the other hand, is a fairly universal bass that everyone should own in their arsenal.
  3. Man, I love both of those.

I would get the Ric but understand it is not as versatile as the Jazz bass. If you pick most of the time, you should get the Ric. If you want to look really cool on stage, you should get the Ric.

It is a win/win either way IMO.
  4. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    i'd get the jazz for the versatility and the customizability (did i just make that word up?)
  5. You know I think I will probably get the Geddy Lee. I like the fact I can go buy a Geddy Lee at a store. I have never actually played ( or seen) a Rickenbacker at a store but have played the Geddy Lee plenty of times. Thanks for your guys' help. I appreciate the input :bassist:
  6. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Don't buy into the "Ric is not as versatile" BS. It is only as limited as you are. With a solid amp and some differing techniques you can get just about anything you'll need out of it. You'll see people playing Rics in every style of music so they clearly are not "one trick ponies" more than a jazz bass is anyway. A jazz does not sound like a Ric and vice versa but they can each be used in a wide range of styles. Just pick whichever one you like best and run with it. :hyper:
  7. Exactly.

Im a FIRM believer that you can play any style of music on any style of bass...your only limited by your own abilities.
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Hrm... Let me guess.. a Rush fan? Personally, I would get the Geddy. I was in your situation, and got a Ric 4003. Doesn't really get the whole Geddy-esk tone, but still a great bass. The GL Jazz has more uses though. I used my Ric for jazz for a while, bad idea.
  9. "Everbody say Geddy Lee"
    "who's Geddy Lee?"
    "Best bass player ever. Cmon."

Problem solved.
  10. Essentially it comes down to who is cooler. Geddy Lee or Chris Squire. Can you beat Tempus Fugit and Roundabout and Starship Trooper and Siberian Khatru.

Nooo! Theres YYZ, Subdivisions, Red Barchetta...
    Jeez... I don't know much about either. If you could, listen to both, play both, use both

Like i said i don't know much about either. Either way its gonna be a happy purchase.... Oh yeah, the cheaper one (Geddy) might be a better buy because you never know what will happen when u need money or you have other stuff to buy
  11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    This is sort of an Apples or Oranges situation, but if you're set on those two choices, I'd go with the Jazz.

They're both "classic" basses (not specifically the Geddy Lee Jazz, more the Jazz bass in general), but the Jazz is a bit more versatile and a bit more classic.
  12. FWIW - IMO:

Jazzes sound great slapped, fingered, tapped or picked.

Ricks sound great fingered, tapped or picked, not so good slapped.

(edit - in defense of the Rick, they sound more 'unique' than a jazz.... methinks :) )
  13. Quagmagog

Nov 28, 2004
    i have turned my mexi jazz into almost the perfect bass for me. I can do anything with it and never have to worry about how its going to sound or hold up. I have played the Geddy Lee jazz a handfull of times and think it is great, if you are going to end up with both in the end i would go for the jazz 1st.
  14. 1. Get the bass you want first.
    2. The B212 IS a quality cabinet. ;) So no need to get something different unless you want a different sound.
  15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No question .... Geddy Lee :bassist: But ... you are forgetting Lemmy! Please don't make me choose between Geddy and Lemmy. :ninja:
  16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Not so good slapped? Have you never heard of Rick James?

I'd say get the Ric. I'll even say it again.... get the Ric.

Chris Squire is also wayyy cooler than Geddy. Geddy is Canadian, has dumb hair, and sounds like a girl.
  17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, he didn't play bass on the albums. He only posed with the Rick because it "looked cooler than holding a guitar". There was a great article in Bass Player magazie a month or two ago featuring the dude that played bass for Rick James.