Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's one for all you psych majors.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, even if you read the little 25-cent pamphlets on psychology in the grocery store check-out line, you can chime in.

Anyway, what does it mean some someone routinely refers to himself in the third person? I'll tell you what I think after a few of you have had your say.

2. Bassteban says he doesn't know. :eyebrow: Wait- seeing as how that's not my real name, is that 4th person? :meh: And if a person w/dual personalities refers to him/her/themselves in the 3rd person, does it become 4th(3+1)? 6th(3x2)? What about multiple personalities?!? Sorry, sick kids+Christmas vacation+unrelenting rain=SEVERE cabin fever...

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Julius Caesar used to refer to himself in the third person.

He does not know why he does it.

4. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I guess i wold have to hear the exact comment in context to a conversation. But, i will say that more often than not when i hear somone referring to themselves in the third person, i get the feeling this person has a vision of themselves being too good to talk to the individual/s in the first person or are afraid to actually engage that person in a real one on one conversation. I guess the word >Billy< is looking for is "Cocky" or "Boastfull". :bag:

5. Insecurity or identity crisis.

Mike

6. Often narcissism, sometimes narcissism masking insecurity. Some people's speech centers are just wired differently, though.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes, the last three are along the lines of my thoughts.

8. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Either thinking you're a big man. Or using it jokingly to poke fun at people who use it because they think they are big men.

9. or you're the queen, who's not technically a man. "one is not amused..."

10. ...The Queen? :)

11. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Doesn't the Queen refer to herself in the plural.......... "We are not amused" There was a member here who used to enjoy that as well...............

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    "Jimmy's new in town. Jimmy doesn't really know anyone." :smug:

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, here's a couple thoughts.

1. The person's self-image doesn't align well with reality.

2. He makes observations about himself in the third person in an attempt to give the impression that someone else sees him the way he sees himself. Perhaps he even wants to give the impresssion that he's just repeating what someone else said.

3. He uses the technique in a effort to paint a picture of what he wishes his life is, but isn't.

4. It's a means of self deception to protect himself from the disaster that his life really is.

5. He uses it to paint himself as a gourmet as opposed to a gourmand, a professional rather than a dilettante, etc.

6. Finally he uses it to hide from the same reality with which his self-image does not align.

Anyway, "she" can be substituted for "he." I know this person, and no, it ain't me.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, i thought royalty did that. at the very least, during shakespeare's day.

15. He does it so people will look at him and say "man, you're weird" and crap like that. Then it gets all over..."hey, here comes Billy, he takes about himeself in the 3rd person" Good way to get attention and be remembered. Also good way to annoy the crap outta people.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The Queen is a bit different thing, since grand position at the top of the society often requires separating personal and official opinion. Therefore, "we" as a "royal plural" is simply something where personal and official persons agree.

I think ;)

17. Brad Cook refers to the Qintar in third person, even though they are the same person.

18. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Fixed! :D

19. I remember reading the novel "One", which warns of communism, in which loyal party members refer to themselves in the third person so as to only think of themselves as belonging to a community, not as individuals.

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    From the Wikipedia:

The royal we (Pluralis Majestatis) is the first-person plural pronoun when used by an important personage to refer to himself or herself. Its best known usage is by a monarch such as a king, queen, or pope. It is also used in certain formal contexts by bishops and university rectors.

In the public situations in which it is used, the monarch or other dignitary is typically speaking, not in his own proper person, but as leader of a nation or institution. Nevertheless, the habit of referring to leaders in the plural has influenced the grammar of several languages, in which plural forms tend to be perceived as deferential and more polite than singular forms. This grammatical feature is called a T-V distinction.