Here's pics of my new custom-made 2-15 50 Watt combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by throbbinnut, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Dig. Bassman Ten 70 Watt (probably only 60 Watts at most) tube chassis for the amp, custom made sealed 2-15 box from Armadillo Amp Works in Texas (, Altec 421A 15" woofers.

Cool old bouncy sound. You can see the (2) CTS square magnet 15's sitting on the amp behind it, just like the ones in an Ampeg B-15N. I haven't even tried them yet. The Altec 421's were upgrades, though, so I'm probably ok. Stain or sealer to come. But it plays real good as is. Total cost, cab ($250) + speakers ($150 used) + amp ($50 used, $50 parts to restore) = $500

I've still got to make a capacitor cover for it so nobody can reach the 500VDC that's in there.

What my kids see -
  2. Tres cool man! I dig it! When I actually get some time I'm gonna get a tube amp project happening. first I gotta do a retube and a cap job on my SVT...
    500 VDC? That's nothin', I test that kinda voltage with my tongue! heheh
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

throbbin - Way cool!!! As for the "only" watts, weren't/aren't Walter Woods & Elins something like only 78-80W (and we know that rep.)?

Which type/make of tubes are in it?

Now, all you need is some kind of jazzy chrome logo piece on the front. How about one of those reclining, nude woman, chrome silhouette things you see on ghetto cruisers? ;)
  4. Hadn't even thought of a logo yet, although the reclining trucker chick sounds pretty good. :D

As for tubes, I just used what I had around.

GE 12AX7
    Fender 12AX7 that came with it
    Amperex Premium Quality 6201 (12AT7 industrial number) with gold pins - too cool.
    Pair of old Sovtek 5881/6L6GC with the thin base. Those are the last of my 6L6's, so I need to stock back up.

Sounds cool. When I get some dough, I'll get some Svetlana or ElectroHarmonix 6L6's though.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Chris - Thanks for answering my next question through the "back door." When I've owned tube amps, I was a good boy and stuck to whatever the manufacturer originally put in there.

Since I have tube preamps now, I was thinking about switching out but didn't really know if all those sonic differences you see about various makes at KOS Tubes were for real or just self-fulfilling prophecy.

From what you said, I feel assured that there is a difference.

(I wonder what one of those sound pressure checker thingamajingies would register in front of your sweet cab?).
  6. Yeah, I still think most of it is phsychological. Sure, there is definitely a difference between good and bad, but if 2 tubes are good, there shouldn't be a night and day difference. I have GE's, Telefunken's, Amperex's, RCA's, Sylvania's, Valvo, Mullard's, etc. But I got all of them used for free over the course of my electronics work. I'd never pay $50 for a 12AX7. Just a good 12AX7 will set you up, at least to my non-audiophile tastes. If I had to buy some, I'd just get some of the Russian 12AX7's that are out now. I think they are probably fine. Definitely cheaper.

So bassically I'm saying don't go blowing money on outrageous NOS tubes that are priced way too high. Just get some decent USA or Russian ones. You'll be plenty stoked. Of course it's easy for me to say this since I have about 50 12AX7s, from just about every manufacturer there ever was. :D

7. Maybe I can borrow a dB meter and check sound pressure levels in front of the cab. Probably wouldn't be too loud. Maybe 110 dB? The speakers are efficient, but the amp is only like 50 Watts.

8. Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    How do you transport this thing ?

Does it have weels under it ? I guess ampeg has an amp like that and at the back of it there is a handgrip and some weels ...
  9. She's a beaut! I really like the looks of that wood cab.
  10. A wheeled dolly is in the works. I'm not toting it around more than I have to. It's heavy as lead. I can't even move it until I build the dolly for it to roll on. Too damn heavy. :D

11. Hey throb! I dig it! You da man! She looks awesome!
  12. Thanks everybody.

Joris, since you are the cabinet guru, I'm glad you like it.