Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's some sounds you've never heard before:

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's the return of the Heffalumps and Woozles song! Now with my new(old) Alesis BitRMan!

Bit Decimator

Bit Reducer

Frequency Modulator

Frequency Shift

[​IMG]

I found this thing at a DJ store of all places - it pays to look in places you wouldn't normally think of! It's a combination compressor, digital distortion, phaser, and digital distressor. In a word, it's disgusting! I've always wanted a bit reducer, and this had that and more (bit reducer, bit decimator, comb filter, frequency modulator, ring mod, and frequency shift), so I couldn't resist. You can even arrange the FX in different orders, which drastically changes the sound. I've barely dug into it, but I've already come up with the sounds above. Neat!

There are some cons however. It's a desktop unit, so I'm going to have to gut it and put it into a pedal format. It sucks tone BIG TIME even when in bypass (I'm going to install a true bypass switch). It's not exactly a purists box, so I'm sure the sound isn't for everybody, which makes it perfect for me. This thing replaces my Machine as my nastiest effect.

I got mine for $59!! Can't argue with that!

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    That's some crazy stuff, I bet i could mess around for hours with that, I love making crazy sounds. I'm digging that frequency modulator.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I might have to look at one of those. I miss my zoom board for it's spectacular ring mod.

4. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    That sounds awesome. How much did that run you?

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

He got it for 59.

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i was considering getting one of those alesis effects when musicians friend had them going for 30 or 40, but was skeptical. how difficult would it be to put that into a steel chassis for an effects board?

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Shouldn't be too hard, I hope. I haven't opened it up yet, but I'm guessing that all the pots, switches, and jacks are hardwired to the circuitboard, so I'm going to have to take them off and make them flying leads. Put in a true bypass switch and presto!

Granted, I've never done this before, but I'm going to give it the old college try. This thing is too much fun for it not to be a pedal. Alesis missed the boat on these big time.

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I got one at the $30 MF blowout price. I haven't used it lately because it doesn't play well with the rest of my setup -- the level is way too hot. However, I love the disgustingly thick distortion it puts out and will write a song around it some day. The power supply is unusual, so it might not integrate into a pedal board very easily.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Bah! I took this thing apart - man, this was engineered badly. All the switches and pots are board mounted, and there are two circuit boards stacked on top of each other, making it very difficult to get into the circuitry. I'm just going to buy a looper instead; I'd have to hot wire this thing like crazy just to get the same effect that a $36 Loooper will do.

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    that's pretty crazy s**t, especially the frequency modulator... try using that thing with your band!

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not sure if I can make that happen, since all of the material was written before I joined. Hopefully the next CD will have more of my contributions on it, and weird noises will be the norm rather than the exception!

12. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I had one for a while I also had the Philter, and I sold both.. They where both a huge pain in the ass, but I know people who have good ones... They where made for DJ's Ben, thats why you found them there...

Alex