Here's something that you don't see every day!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Nov 12, 2004.

1. I guess by now a few folks here at TB have figured out that I have a passion for Wal basses. My dreams all came true on Tuesday when the morning Fedex flight touched down here. I opened the case and found this beautiful bass...

There aren't too many beech Wal basses around, and the top on this one is stunning. Pete really knows how to cut a piece of wood to expose all of the character!

There are a few nice options as well... custom pickup placement, red Sims landing lights and a clean fretboard with no markers. While it's truly a beautiful instrument, it sounds even better than it looks. The combination of beech with the bridge-biased pickups makes for a really punchy tone with just a hint of sweetness. Of course when you want the typical "brick-in-the-face" Wal agression it's there in spades. Anyhow I can't put it down so I'll have to catch you all later.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Awesome looking bass.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:eek: Wow, that is a beautiful instrument! Congrats!
  4. Wow, that´s a looker! Most Wals look a bit too clumsy for my tastes, but yours is very sleek. And I´ve never seen a top like that. [Mr. Burns voice on]Beech, eh...
  5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Very nice! That's a beautiful top! Enjoy!
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Must... resist... Wal... GAS... :meh:
    Who am I fooling, anyway? ;)
    Very nice
  7. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)

That's the nicest Wal 5 that I've seen and probably up there vying for the nicest Wal period - I do recall seeing a very sexy Mach 1 somewhere that was pretty nice too. I think I'll give this one number one just for being a little different from every other Wal out there.

Makes mine look like crap :bawl:
  8. groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    wow....sick bass! Congrats dude!
  9. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    WOW! A blonde Wal. Congratulations.
  10. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Cool bass!
    For some reason Wal basses just look extremely heavy to me. Of course I have no hands-on experience with one to justify my opinion. :p

How's the weight?
  11. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
  12. Thanks much, everyone! To address a few of the comments... the Mach III shape is sleeker and I personally love the updated looks. I'll have to guess the weight at about 10lbs; roughly the same as my fretless. Anyhow, I wish my photography did better credit to the stunning top on this bass but at least you get the general idea.

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thats a crazy looking top! I like it!
  14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    beautiful Wal!

For some reason Wal's Electronics and knobs on some of his basses confuse me... Push and pull and toggle, etc.

Your looks real elegant and the knobs aren't as crazy as some that I have seen or heard of.

Nice choice.

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Geez, that's sick. I'm not usually affected by bass GAS much, but wow. That's hot.
  16. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    That's got to be the most handsome bass I've seen yet. It's got character :) I love what's going on around the pups and the bridge - really adds to the bass :D

Oh yeah, the top is gorgeous - and I'm not even a fan of blonde basses ;)
  17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Holy Schnites!!!!

That's beautiful!!
  18. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    friggin awesome!!!!
    I really dig the top.