Here's the key to groovin'......

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Apr 8, 2003.

1. not that I profess to be a groove-guru, and I'm sure this is common knowledge to a lot of TBers, but....

this weekend I finally found it, the key to a good groove; playing on the back end of the beat, almost late! I've heard and read of playing at the front and back of the beat, but never really understood the whys and wherefores of this. So this past weekend I suddenly started doing this, and MAN, it made a difference.

Just wanted to share, your comments are welcome....

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm interested, bumpers...
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes, this is the difference between groove & edge I believe. And, IME, playing on the back of the beat isn't as easy as it sounds (my tendency would be to rush, you see).
  4. I'm sure in the past I was playing on the front "edge" of the beat also. It is a little more difficult to get on that back edge, but ooooh what a difference it can make......

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I think it really depends on they style of the music. When I was in Atlanta, playing R&B, groove jazz and funk, the back of the beat (waaaaay back) was where it was at.

When you're swinging, however, it's all about the front edge....
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Beat me to it. Grooving means different things, depending on the groove you're in. You really can't play bop right if you're lolling on the tailgate of the beat, but you can't play reggae right if you're hanging ten off the front of the beat either. (How's that for some mangled metaphors?)
  7. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Raggae players have been doing that for ages, although check out the bass line for Squeeze's "Black Coffe in Bed", a very nice example of that. Although, you cannot do that all the time, it depends on what type of music you are playing.
  8. It's pretty d*mn hard to play on the back or the front end of the beat with a lousy drummer. When the drummer is dragging (I'm not sure if this is the right word for it), you HAVE to play on top of the beat, which screws up reggae grooves pretty well. :mad: On the other hand, if the drummer is rushing, you've got to "hold him (her) back", which makes crappy walking lines. :spit: