Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's the pieces...Solve the puzzle!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jontom, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I have a problem with a sharp popping noise when I go to change presets on two devices. Let me give you the gear list and how its connected: Bass into ADA MB-1(effect loop A) into RNC compressor into Alesis Nanoverb into BBE Sonic Max into Line 6 Bass Pod Pro. Effect loop from Bass Pod Pro to floorboard containing Fulltone Bassdrive into Boss OC-2 into Akai Headrush back into Line 6 Bass Pod Pro. The Ada and the Line 6 are linked via midi cable to switch presets together. The crossover outs from the ADA are sent on to a QSC 350 watt(x2)power amp to a Hartke 4x10 top and an EV 15 bottom. Whenever I switch the presets(via a Line 6 FB4 switch, connected to the Bass Pod) I get a blasting POP! How can I get rid of that noise?

2. I may be wrong on this, but I think putting effects pedals in the effects loop (Fulltone, OC-2, Headrush) might have something to do with it.

The only other thing I see a problem with is that you're going directly from your bass to the MB-1, through a bunch of stuff, into the input of the POD, then from the effects loop of the POD to your pedals. What I think is happening is, your MB-1 is upstream in your signal chain from the POD, yet you're using the POD as the midi change source for the MB-1. Even with the most high-end gear, there is a delay in switching via midi. Electricity still needs time (albeit milliseconds) to pass through all the circuitry in all the rack gear you're using. The POP is happening because of that delay sending a surge from the MB-1 and it's followers back to the input of the POD.

I think your chain should go something like this: (I'm not going to be like everybody else and tell you to just plug your bass into the amp and go)
    Bass into fulltone bassdrive into Boss OC-2 into Akai Headrush into Bass POD Pro. From Effects Loop into ADA MB-1 into Alesis NanoVerb into Compressor into Sonic Maximizer into Effects return on POD. Midi cable between POD and MB-1, controller cable to FB-4 switch.

That way, the midi switching happens downstream of the source and you shouldn't get any signal looping for any reason.

I've heard that pedals don't do well in Effects Loops because of their gain characteristics, and I thought the compressor should go after your signal processors. The BBE can go anywhere in the chain.

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Kudos Mo'phat!:)