Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's what happens to Bass Player giveaways

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew West, Mar 11, 2001.

1. argh! I could have put that to use!

2. :(That's enough to make a grown man cry. Bwaaaaah!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :( Why is a guitarist winning a Bass Player givaway!!!!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, he's a guitar player who read bass player magazines. At least he has some class.

Have you ever read those horrid guitar player magazines? At least in Bass Player they cover non-popular artists (that sounds harsh, but you know what I mean.) You know, the guys that actually can PLAY.

And I still can't get over the fact that Canadians have to take a math test... I'm not Canadian but that's still somewhat amusing/disturbing.

5. :(That's enough to make a grown Canadian man cry. Bwaaaaah!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Precisely so he/she can do exactly what they're presently doing - getting cash anyway they can for guitar gear/digital bong/sex change/whatever.

I enter Music Player contests automatically just by going to the site. More often than not, the prize isn't bass gear, but if I happened to win it, I'd do what that guy is doing with the Aguilar.

At least someone who can use it will get it at a lower price than showroom new.

7. rickbass

Xavier- It's the Canadian laws that are the hangup, not US laws. Something about validating that the prize is worth the value shown in the contest in Canadian $$$$ (and it gets even more complicated in Quebec).

Basically, BP would have to retain some attorneys who know Canadian law and draft a separate set of rules with clauses that comply with Canadian law, blah, blah, blah. In other words, it would cost a lot more money. But I think there is something in the rules about Canadians taking some kind of math test to be eligible. (I'm not kidding or being condescending. I love Canada and tried to live there when I had a job offer in Toronto, but the Can. gov't was cracking down on hiring non-Can.'s. I love Vancouver and Whistler is okay, kind of overrun).

If you do a search, this topic has come up a couple of times, like around Dec. & Jan.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and ya know what? that isn't the only one...several months back i saw the warwick streamer stage i that had the statue of liberty painted on it; you know, the one that was done by the same dood that does t.m. stevens' basses? i think bp gave that away a couple years ago, but still! horrible!

9. It has something to do with some law in Canada about not being able to give anything away. A person must either pay for something or perform some sort of skill-requiring feat in order to win something. Math is a skill, so us Canadians have to answer a "skill-testing" question in order to win something. It's usually insanely easy.

FF

10. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I had to know 2 + 3 to win hockey tickets :):)

11. man, i coulda put that to good use, dang guitar player

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ok. Here's the plan:

Everybody log on the Guitar Player mag website and enter in every giveaway.

If anyone here wins the stuff, put it on eBay and tell those guitarists to keep their hands off our gear! Then use the money to buy supporting member status for 10 people with the money.

Will C.:cool:

13. why not feed starving peeople in third world countries???? :( :D:D:D

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, you could do that with the rest of the money.

I have no smileys for this.

Will C.:cool:

15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    God i hope i win that warwick infinity they have! Pray for me!

16. So, did you win?

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    It sickens me to see a guitarist has this new DB359.

Needless to say, I just entered a few guitar giveaways this morning...

18. rickbass

BA-DAH-DUM! Bwah-hahahaha!

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Id be lucky to win an order of fries at McDonalds.