1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Here's what I got for my Sterling...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a.green.martian, Dec 4, 2006.

1. A 1975 p-bass, serial 635031, with sadowsky hum-cancelling pickups.

HPIM0501.
    HPIM0499.
    HPIM0497.

The neck is definitely a 'b' width or smaller, it's the most comfortable p I've ever played. The electronics are wired with a push/pull on the volume for p or p/j to a master tone.
    The original parts are the body,neck, neck plate, tuners, string retainer and maybe nut, everything else is replacement.
    The mint pg is ok, but I'm thinking of switching it to black, and maybe wiring it up a little differently.

What do you guys think?

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    hmm.. Probably not a fair trade, but nice non-the-less. Enjoy, and record us some clips!

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I like it! I'd probably go with a tort PG, IMO...save the old one, though, if it's the original.

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    If it is the most comfortable neck that you have ever played then it was a good trade.

Sterlings are really sweet basses though.

5. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    That's a nice fusion of old wood and new electronics, which yields the best sound IMO. I'd love to hear some clips. The black PG would look nice on it. I have a P-bass in sunburst with black PG and black hardware, and it's quite sharp. If only it had a maple board instead of rosewood, it would be bitchin.

6. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    Nice bass... I dig the fender stuff. You'll be missing that sterling before Christmas. I know I would. Enjoy, and go for the tort guard

7. I put in a little bit of cash, based on what similar mid 70's p-basses sold for on the bay, and probably put in more than I should have but I did it knowing that this'll increase in value down the road, even if it is modified. I'll try to record some before the end of the week.

I already miss the sterling a little bit, but I know I'll always be able to get one down the road.
    If I change the PG the only color I'm considering would be black, I don't really dig tort on a sunburst p-bass, maybe white or black, but not burst.

8. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
  9. Did you do the routing, or did someone else before you do that? Knowing the history of this bass would be really cool.
    as for the rest of the questions/comments:
    No, the Sterling I traded is Radiance Red.
    That definitely sounds like it on the recording, so anyone asking for clips, there ya go.
    I'm also used to heavy basses so it's not that bad, my frankenjazz weighs about 11lbs.
    ::edit; I traded it to TBer mburd, he's up in Maine so I'm guessing he got it from you?::

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cant say I like the trade, but whatever makes you happy. :p

11. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Cool bass. I'd take that over a Sterling any day.

12. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Very nice, I actually kind of like it with the mint, but tort wouldn't bad either.
    Looks like a solid trade to me. How is it wired though?

13. It's wired volume/tone, but the volume is a push/pull for p(down) or pj(up). It might be the other way around, all I know is I like it better down. Up is a little bit lower volume and a tad thinner for some reason. If I rewire it, I'll either go concentric v/t for each or just v/v since I dime the tone all the time anyways.

14. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    ^ Just a thought if you don't mind, I have mine wired vol/vol/tone, with a series parallel push/pull, and I love it... I don't know if this is getting too crazy, but If it were me, I'd think about a stacked vol/vol, and then a tone with the push/pull. It ends up being pretty versitile, I like having a pure P, but being able to just pull a switch for a bit of a boost and the added J flavor.

I know you weren't askng for suggestoins, but I love it this way... comfortable and simple.

15. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    +1

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Cool P man, I’d definitely go black with the PG. I have a 74 with a B neck in brown burst with a black PG and I have a black PG on my 70 3tone Burst P [with added J] as well, black and sun burst just looks real slick to me.

17. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I got it in a trade a couple years ago, it had SD p/j pu's in it. Traded it to Mburd for the Sterling pictured above, I'm in Maine too. Loved the Sterling but had to trade it to get the Pedulla Rapture I'm playing now, it's THE bass for me.

Hope you get lots of mileage out of it, it's a great bass.

Oh, it's great with TI flats on it, that's what the recording was done with.

18. It´s hard for me to tell If I like the trade... two great basses!!!
    That Fender looks great.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats in very good nick for a '75! Looks pretty neat, but then, so does that Sterling that Jongor posted.

20. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    Nice Bass,but it still wouldn't kick my Sterling offstage. Just my opinion which means nothing:)