1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Here's what I have...could an M9 replace it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Oct 6, 2013.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    So as a person and as a player, I'm the type that always thinks that simpler is better. Right now, I'm running a board that isn't terribly complex, but I'm always looking for ways to make it better and get the sound that's in my head out of my speakers.

Right now, my signal path goes

Bass > Boss TU-3 > EHX Little Big Muff > VT bass dlx (fx send)> Boss CEB-3 > Boss BF-3 (fx return)> VT dlx > amp

I'm wondering if, in the sake of simplicity and space, I could dump the LBM and the Boss pedals and replace them with a Line 6 M9, and downgrade from a PT-JR to a PT Mini. I've been wanting to get my hands on a compressor (and a noise gate too, incidentally) for a while, and my LBM and the BF-3 haven't been getting much use. The M9 would give me all the sounds I have now, plus a comp, reverb, delays, filters (I do have an FM-4, but I find I didn't use it enough to warrant its inclusion on my board), etc. It has a built in tuner as well. So here are my questions:

1. Will the M9's modulation fx be good enough to replace my CEB-3 and BF-3? I really like the way both of them sound, I'm just looking fot simplicity. Will I be able to coax these sounds out of the M9?

2. I've heard not-so-good things about distortions on the M series pedals...have there been any patches that have improved bass response on these? Like I said, my LBM hasn't been getting much use, and the VT dlx is awesome at distortion (even though I mainly use it as a preamp), but if I wanted a muff-type fuzz, could I get it?

And 3. The attraction of the Boss TU-3 was that I could set it to tune to flat tunings. I usually only change things around to D or even a half-step down, but I've found this feature incredibly useful. Does the M9's tuner have this option too, or will I just have to "earball" it?

And overall, is this a good idea, or should I just stick to what I have?

Sorry about the long post, but I had a thought, some additional thoughts, and I know you guys are a great resource for answering these types of questions. Thanks in advance.

2. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I had a M3. I think you will find the Zoom B3 much more capable of filling the roles of your current pedals. You will have to get a little creative with the amp sims, OD, and some EQ to match what the VT bass can do, but you can get close.

You can use the harmonizer to perform some alternate tunings, but it isn't a very simple process. The really great thing about the M series pedals is the expression control options are endless. The Zoom has some pretty finite expression control options. The tube OD and fuzzes in the M series pedals are pretty good, but don't match up well with your VT Bass. If you will permit an opinion, I'd keep your VT bass and try out the M9 for your other needs and see how it sounds. The nice thing about the Zoom is the preamp and amp sim section in addition to the multi-effect standards. The M series delays and verbs are top notch and are hard to beat. I hope this is helpful to you.

3. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Oh yeah, what I meant, though I don't think I wrote it, was that I would be ditching everything EXCEPT the VT. That sucker is getting buried with me. The M9 would be replacing the Boss stuff and the LBM.

4. I'd suggest an m9 and a ls2 or other form of blender. Sure you can use the dirt in the m9 and then an eq to boost the lows back, but I prefer a blend as it leaves another effect slot open. And you'll have a lot more interesting routing options. The mods and other effects are more than passable to my ears and should satisfy your needs.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you're happy with your set-up, keep the pedals you own. but if not, you could try the line m9 and see if that multi-effect processor has the sounds you're looking for. check out this guy's video demonstrations on the line m9 on bass.

Distortion

If you like what you hear, go for it. if not, check out the zoom b3.

6. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    IMHO keep the VT deluxe and any other dirts you enjoy and use the M9 for modulation/reverbs/delays/etc...

Thats what I do...
    8967803998_400e55decf_o.

7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I also believe that simpler is better. I do not have a pedal board nor do I use any effects.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I always wondered what this strong attraction of the effects forum and questions about specific effects are to non effect users that you have to jump in with that old nugget ... :confused:

+1 on heavyfunkmachin' post, seems like good advice since it's usually the drive effects that are weak points of multieffects.

9. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Thanks for posting that! I was nervous about the distortion sounds, as I'd heard they weren't very good, but since I think i would mostly use the Pi Fuzz setting, and it sounded good enough in the video, my fears have been waylaid. It sounds like the M9 is right up my alley, I just have to clear out some of my gear to raise the funds. :bassist:

10. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    lol then why are you here?

11. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I do not say anything nor did I want to post in this thread.

12. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    ...Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I have a M5 and a B3... I think you'd be better off checking out the B3 for your use... The M5 has better modulations, but for replacing the Boss pedals, I think the B3 would be fine and a much better fit for dirt.

13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Anytime, dude. I did wonder how the distortion channels and the modulation effects sounded on bass. and it sounded pretty cool. I would of imagined how the distortion channels sounded on a low b string. that would of sounded pretty killer.

14. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    The other thing that I noticed is that a lot of the distortions include a 3 band eq. If you can't get a good sound out of that....

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I noticed that too. I figure if you adjust the eq on the desired distortion model, you can get really get a great sound. also it would be a good idea to use the line 6 m9 with a blender pedal. that way you can get a killer sound without obliterating lows.

16. I'm all about the blending personally. My m9 was the keystone of my board til I got into eventide gear. It's the best sounding and most flexible gear for the dollar. It only starts to lack when compared to the higher end models like eventide, strymon, and sourceaudio. Long story short to answer the OP: yes an M9 can replace your pedals as long as you don't run more than 3 at a time and don't need clean lows.

17. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I see what you mean. I use to be into the digitech x-series pedals at one point until years later I got into other effects. I still own a digitech bass driver (which is my first bass distortion pedal) and I think it's a pretty cool pedal. right now I own an ebs metaldrive and a danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus pedal for my live set-up. I also own a zoom b3 which I normally use for home recordings and sometimes live performances.

18. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I only have three pedals that I use as effects, and I've never blended those before so I should be okay