Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Here's What I'm Thinking About Buying

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Totengraber, Aug 5, 2004.

1. The bass:
    Schecter Omen 5
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...79/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_id/106335

Here's the amp:
    Behringer Ultrabass BX600 Combo
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7.../g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/480678/

I also already have the older version of one of these:
    Zoom 708 Bass Effects Pedal
    http://www.music123.com/Zoom-708II-Multi-Effects-Bass-Pedal-i72052.music

I currently have a Rogue 5-string POS along with a Rogue 50W amp, both of which are POSs in my opinion.

I'm looking to spend around $700-$800 on buying new equipment. If I were to sell/trade any of it, I think the only thing that might get me anything in return is the pedal. I kinda like the pedal, though.

So, will this be a decent setup? Perhaps should I ditch the Zoom 708 for separate individual pedals? Could I do better on the bass with a similar price? Is the amp a POS as well?

I'm mostly looking for something decent to practice with and *maybe* eventually play with others. I play lots of metal music, if that makes any difference at all.

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    buy a better amp or save till you can afford it, belive that amp its waste of money get a used head an oneo of those new alumium cone bwhringers of 2x10 500w its a better inversion

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My advice is to lay your money out on an amp, (at the risk of sounding pompous, I've been playing bass since 1969). A nice 15" or two or a 4x10" should be decent. Peaveys, Genz-Benzs, Avatars, Eden Nemesis, and others are a great way to get going. Resist the temptation to get the reasonably priced Carvin cabs, IMO.

BUT, spending most of your money on the amp doesn't mean you should buy a bass that plays like crap or has a tone that doesn't please you. What seems like an uncomfortable, crummy sounding, bass to someone else may be perfectly fine to you. That's why there are so many basses on the market....it's all about individual taste.
    The thing is - you can get a good deal on a USED bass. Amps tend to get abused, (like run at high volumes that abuse the speakers), but it's tough to abuse a bass. Nonetheless, you may be lucky and find a used amp that has been pampered.

Just don't let the salesperson push something on you. Take all the time you need to find something that makes you smile.

4. Althius

Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    For what its worth I bought a new BX600 not 6 months ago and it is currently not working well.

I will say Behringer has provided decent service thus far in the repair process.

*shrug*

Although if I had access to TB back when I bought it, I doubt I would have gotten it.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My advice, assuming you want to go entirely new:

Essex bass- They sit well against many other basses, and having played a couple firsthand, I can attest that the'yre worth three times what you pay for them. ~$120

Avatar cabinet, 1x15, 4x10, whatever floats your boat. ~$300

Hartke 3500 or so head. Very decent. ~$...erm, can't recall, but want to say less than 300.

Under budget.

If you're willing to go used, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

6. @Brendan: Where can I find the Avatar Bass cabinets, the head, and the Essex bass?

@Althius: Thanks for the advice. The more I research the Behringer stuff, the more I find problems.

@rickbass: I assume if I buy a cab of some kind, I'll need a head as well? I've never had anything other than a combo amp, so I wouldn't really know.

I went to do a little shopping last night and found a music store selling Peavey Millenium 4 & 5 BXPs for less than $200. I looked at the bass amps, but only briefly as I didn't have much time.

Is the Peavey Millenium a pretty decent bass? This weekend, I had thought about trying it out myself.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For the most part, yeah, they're okay.

Essex- www.rondomusic.com

You'll probably be looking at the B115H or the b210. I'd go for the 15, myself.

Check out a Hartke head or a GK Backline head at Musicians Friend, Music123.com, or any number of music sites.

8. Thanks very much, Brendan.

They have some deals for getting a head and the cab together for what looks like a good price.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

10. i own schecter omen 5 and couldnt be happier with my choice. when i bought it, i had a list of about 20 basses in my price range (including fenders, ibanez, etc) and the schecter blew every one of them out of the water in my opinion. its an excellent bass for the price.