1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Here's what I'm trying to do...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AEONmw, Jun 29, 2007.

1. AEONmw

AEONmw

Jun 24, 2007
    Chico California
    I need help with an effect line-up. Basically, I wish to split my signal right out of my bass( or maybe following a pre-amp), and run a parallel set of effects.

On one path, I wish to lowpass filter the signal ( maybe around 200Hz ?), and run this into light compression.

On the other path, I wish to highpass filter the signal( same cutoff frequency as above), and color this signal with more effects( compression, chorus, delay/reverb).

Next, I wish to recombine the above two signals into a single signal, and then use this as the input to my amp.

I would think that the above scenario is common, but I'm just not finding the individual components/effects that make this easy....any ideas ?

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    A buffered signal splitter would be the first thing, IMO, so that you don't lose volume. A passive signal splitter will result in volume drops on both parallel paths, and would require that you implement some sort of signal boosting elsewhere in each path.

To filter the frequencies before anything else... a crossover would do the trick, but with the exception of the Peavey BAC-2 Stereo Chorus, they're not available in pedal form... so it'd be inconvenient to do that there. EQ pedals at the beginning of each path would work - it's not perfect, but it's pretty effective.

Now, if you want to toy with frequency filtering AFTER both chains, a crossover in the rack would work nicely for this. I'm no expert with crossovers though, so I'm not sure if they can mix the results into one output.

A small mixer would also work to blend parallel lines, but you'd need one with a flexible EQ on each channel to do any decent frequency filtering.

Anyone else got any ideas?

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I suggest a Rolls crossover to split signal and a Boss LS-2 in mixer mode to bring it back together.
    This way you get a buffered chain with in and out level controls.
    [​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Wow... I never really looked at its features until now... but it looks like the Rolls would do the trick! Even frequency crossover selection!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021