1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heritage SVT-CL Power Tubes..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BiG-ULi, May 30, 2011.

1. BiG-ULi

BiG-ULi

Sep 10, 2010
    Miami
    I just noticed that the 2011 CL's are shipping with JJ 6550's oppose to the 2010 models that shipped out with Winged C 6550's. Are there any differences in tone between the two?

Thanks for any input :bassist:

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Hmmm, I wonder if it is due to availability... I've never used the JJ's, so I can't compare, but I've always used Winged C's with great results. They are a good bit pricier than the JJ's. Nice of Ampeg to keep the price the same even though they went to a cheaper tube.

3. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

LOL! That reminds me of the scene in the movie The Jerk where Steve Martin is informed as to the true nature of weight guessing in the circus, and says in amazement, "it's a profit deal!"

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    They gave their costumers the same treatment when they moved production overseas, too. The price didn't go down, but their quality certainly did for a while. Fortunately things are better now, but their prices still have not lowered.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I noticed that a few weeks ago when I was amp shopping. I've never heard a bad thing about JJ Tubes, but they aren't as highly regarded, or anywhere near as expensive as the Winged C. Looks to be a profit making move to me.

6. BiG-ULi

BiG-ULi

Sep 10, 2010
    Miami
    Typical Ampeg move.. :rollno:

Anyone have any experiences with JJ's in an SVT?

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    SED was having supply issues so their prices went up pretty significantly at the end of last year which is probably the reason for (or at least coincided with) ampeg switching tubes.

8. BiG-ULi

BiG-ULi

Sep 10, 2010
    Miami
    Makes sense.

9. juggernaut1

juggernaut1

Jul 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Mine (#005) has Rubys. Sounds great.

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If they're stock they're winged Cs. I have some Ruby branded (or at least Ruby labeled) winged Cs the were in an amp I bought. Same tube just an extra middle-man's added cost in between you and the supplier.

11. BiG-ULi

BiG-ULi

Sep 10, 2010
    Miami
    I finally received my Heritage CL and yes they are now shipping with JJ 6550's.

12. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Congrats! I'm sure it still sounds great

13. BiG-ULi

BiG-ULi

Sep 10, 2010
    Miami
    Oh yea it does!